Fallschirmjager Knochensack

Brig

So I've dabbled in TR for the past 18 years or so...and by dabble, I mean dabble. Like many others, I started with TR, but largely left it when 1) I joined the Marine Corps and was inspired to focus on that and 2) When egos and attitudes got overwhelming. The interest would come back in spurts, but many spurts would come and pass without even picking up a single item.

Here's one that came to me when I wasn't in a spurt, and hadn't been in quite some time. Some of you have asked me to post this under Spoils of War over at USMF over the years, but I didn't feel the vet bringback connection was strong enough to justify it. But since we've got a new forum in need of topics, I figured I'd share it now.

I received a reply to an ad probably about 8 years ago, saying they had a camouflage jacket. Imagine my surprise when I saw this one...the story was, the man had worked at an Army Base back in the 80s somewhere down south, and the base theater was regularly used by the base's schools for school plays. They were going through the costume racks trying to make room, and were getting rid of a lot of the WWII stuff to make room for new stuff. The man who had this found it on the rack and was told it should go, and he asked if he could take it home because he thought it would be a great hunting coat. He hung it in a closet and forgot about it for over 20 years, never took it out hunting (thankfully, because he had planned to remove the eagle), and figured it was time for it to go.

After a whole bunch of questions as to whether or not I was a Nazi, he finally decided to sell it. This is one of those uniforms I remember looking at when I was young and collecting TR, and thinking I'd probably never own. I'd like to add a belt and bandoleer some day, but thus far have not gotten around to it.

Has a bit of wear, a couple of field repairs, a missing snap and zipper dangle, a tear on the rear...but overall in pretty good shape for a garment meant to be worn in the field.

101_0794.jpg

101_0784.jpg

101_0797.jpg

101_0813.jpg

101_0769.jpg

Brig,

Great story and tremendous item. One wonders how it arrived at the costume shop.. Brought back by a Soldier and then donated..who knows but it is a great and rare piece

Leigh

That was my guess, too...a vet decided it was taking up space and dropped it off with the school, maybe with some other clothes, who knows? Lots of speculation, which is why I didn't feel it was proper for the Spoils of War forum

Very nice piece Brig. The original grünmeliert backed eagle is super. I bought my first one at the Chico gun show in the 1980's for $200.

Great story and Smock.

Its an early one for sure.

Can you show the zips please.

owen

Some of the zips...one missing the pull, rest are all intact and the same

101_0764.jpg

101_0768.jpg

101_0762.jpg

No, the bando came from somewhere else. Cannot remember now from where or how much.

Seems to be a buyers market on bandoleers right now. I would wait for the right one at the right price. Some people still trying to get 800/1000 (for common ones) but I think those days are long behind us.

uscapturephotos

Love this. Hope to find one myself someday. Bill Shea had a similar story with an idd uniform piece that a GI brought back from Rommels home. I think it was an idd Rommel overcoat if I remember correctly. Anyway, the GI loaned it to the local schools theater company. Long story short...after years it ended up in Bill's possession. There is much more to the story but that was the gist.

Paul

No, the bando came from somewhere else. Cannot remember now from where or how much.

Seems to be a buyers market on bandoleers right now. I would wait for the right one at the right price. Some people still trying to get 800/1000 (for common ones) but I think those days are long behind us.

That's the plan...there's a few things I'd like to add some day, but hope the stars align and I stumble on one at a good price or work one in trade. Would love to find a Panzer Wrapper, a decorated Infantry NCO, maybe a Mountain Troop...but I am a patient man and TR is not my focus.