Operation Urgent Fury Propaganda T-Shirts

Nkomo

I hope you guys enjoy the humor on this t-shirt. LOL! I guess the US kind of "interrupted" the 5 year anniversary of the revolution on Grenada!

I bought this shirt from a journalist who covered the Grenada invasion and the aftermath. This shirt was bought awhile after the initial invasion. These shirts were being sold by one of the former cabinet members of the New Jewel Movement. IF I remember correctly, he was the Information Minister.

00352.jpg

There has always been a huge controversy concerning the airport on Grenada. The governments of Grenada, Cuba, and the Soviet Union claimed the airport was there for peaceful purposes and was there to increase the amount of tourists to the island of Grenada to increase the national income. The US and the Organization of American States claimed it was a refueling base for long range Soviet bombers. Whatever the case, the Rangers took over the airport and fought some Cuban engineers who were there to help finish the airport.
I will add this.....the runway at the airport was certainly long enough to handle long range Soviet bombers. Most commercial airports didn't need to be that long for commercial air traffic.

00444.jpg

• 2 months later...

Interesting T-Shirts! A buddy of mine was one of the Rangers who secured the airfield, he mentioned that the 82nd came in and there was a bit of "friendly fire" started by the 82nd troopers who apparently didn't know the field was secure. He later deployed to Afghanistan as a Master Sergeant with the Indiana National Guard and was targeted by a trained sniper who hit him in the armpit when he raised his arm while entering a vehicle. He was probably dead by the time he hit the ground. RIP MSG MaC!

BKW

• 2 weeks later...