Named Volkspolizei Awards

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show part of a display that I did years ago that shows a set of Volkspolizei awards to one man. This set of awards to a retired Volkspolizei (VP) Colonel shows thirty years of service to the DDR. In addition to the cased awards themselves are the accompanying named and numbered award certificates (Urkunde). Each certificate is bound in a booklet with a full color rendition of the award on the inside covers. These Urkunde are more scarce than the medal itself as they represent additions to the Policeman's retirement pay. I will point out that this man received the highest Police Award available in the form of an early numbered pin back showing the enamel flag without the latter addition of the DDR Wappen.

KCMCC 2014 DDR medals.JPG

Here are some closeup photos of a few of the awards and the matching Urkunde.

DDR bronze VP medal.JPG

DDR gold Vp medal.JPG

DDR honor VP medal.JPG

DDR honor VP medal back.JPG

Also, collectors should notice that this pin back version of the "Ehrenzeichen der Deutschen Volkspolizei" medal was awarded in 1954 by the Chief of the Deutschen Volkspolizei (DVP). Later awards were signed by the Minister of the Interior (MdI). This early version of the highest VP award was made prior to the founding of the DDR Army, the Nationale Volksarmee (NVA). In 1954 the DDR was not a recognized state and there was no standing military structure, except for the East German national police forces.

These early, pre-1956, East German items are quite collectible and hard to find in the US. While later DDR uniforms and medals are still easy to find just try to locate a Model 1948 blue Volkspolizei uniform or a pin back Ehrenzeichen der DV like this one outside of Germany.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...