Panzer Assault Badge

jmd62

Hey guys,

Here's another PAB, this time a bronze grade hollow tombak Wurster labeled by many as the "Chaos Grass" variant. It still retains most of its chocolate finish. It was the first of the bronze grades issued during the war.

Thanks,

James

post-185183-0-54791600-1540396096.jpg

post-185183-0-53548000-1540396100.jpg

A beautiful badge.....these Panzer Assault Badges have always been one of my favorite TR decorations. So much detail on the real ones, and love the way these bronze ones look. That is a NICE one!

Thanks Brian! Even among the originals, the earlier designs were so much more detailed than the late war PAB's. Not to mention the quality of the metals used starting with neusilber and tombak to eventually low quality zinc alloys, which are subject to zinc pest.

Here's an example of a later war zinc PAB produced by Rudolph Richter Schlag in comparison. Among other things, the eagle's head and the grass area are quite "simple." I'm only comparing the design differences, the awards all have the same historical value of course. : ) (this is not my badge, only a reference photo)

post-185183-0-04434900-1540822226_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Jim,

Typically, but there are exceptions. One example would be GW that made a real nice late war hollow zinc PAB. Generally though, many early producers began with a hollow buntmetall version (Juncker with nickel-silver, Assmann with cupal, as a couple of exceptions), then moved to hollow zinc and eventually to solid zinc.

Very nice MINTY badge you have there! It has been more "recently" attributed to E. Ferd. Wiedmann of Frankfurt. Is the hinge more of a wrap around, I can't tell by the photo.

Thanks, good pics! Yes, this is what I was referring to as a "wrap-around" for lack of a better term. These are less common than the so-called "lily pad" hinge as shown below from a bronze example. Very nice badge!

post-185183-0-68752200-1545246207.jpg