Possibly modified Type 1936 WW2 Soviet paratrooper badge

Tonomachi

I picked this up on eBay because it is a Type 1936 WW2 paratrooper badge but has an aircraft horizontally across the shroud lines. I've never come across this before and was wondering if anyone knew if this was made this way or a modification. You only see aircraft on WW2 era Soviet paratrooper badges for instructors or master level pieces. So I was wondering if this was modified afterwards for a Soviet paratrooper who achieved master level or instructor status? If this was a modification is was professionally done as the aircraft follows the curvature of the badge and probably soldered on.

I have another question regarding these WW2 era Soviet paratrooper badges. I heard it was now illegal to bring these out of Russia. This piece came out of the Ukraine so I'm guessing a way around the law if it does indeed exist. Anyone know?

post-185261-0-80034400-1540662087.jpg

post-185261-0-49357900-1540662122.jpg

I think that is a super piece Dennis and far better than most will appreciate. I think your logic is sound and was my first thought when I saw it.

The closest one I can find that resembles your badge is this one. I believe that yours is an earlier piece and with that unique aircraft added, I believe it was possibly modified by the original owner. I have observed that several examples of older Soviet Parachutist Badges were enhanced by the addition of extra devices. I will try to post some examples here later. In response to your question about restrictions on items leaving Russia, I had not heard that.

post-185301-0-92991700-1541073906_thumb.jpg

The closest one I can find that resembles your badge is this one. I believe that yours is an earlier piece and with that unique aircraft added, I believe it was possibly modified by the original owner. I have observed that several examples of older Soviet Parachutist Badges were enhanced by the addition of extra devices. I will try to post some examples here later. In response to your question about restrictions on items leaving Russia, I had not heard that.

I believe you and Eric are right as in all the years I have been looking for WW2 era USSR paratrooper badges this is first time I have come across one of the basic ones with an aircraft across the shroud lines.