WW2 Japanese paratrooper wing currently on eBay not original

Tonomachi

I just saw this and wanted to warn the membership that this is not an original WW2 Japanese paratrooper wing as advertised as the seller is mistaken. Based on the purplish paper backing I would guess this copy was made in Pakistan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-GENUINE-WW2-JAPANESE-PARATROOPER-WINGS/202484162374?hash=item2f24ff1f46:g:OO8AAOSwORxb1fa-:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

post-185261-0-95848400-1540843343_thumb.jpg

post-185261-0-12859300-1540843354_thumb.jpg

Hard to believe someone is bidding on it (unless it's a shill bid). I have the same one I paid $10 for. I used it in my article as an example of one of the many fakes.

EEE.jpg

There were 31 bids between three bidders with a final selling price of $886.00. Someone is going to be real disappointing when they find out that they paid this much money for a copy.

• 6 months later...

They must be shill bids. Who would pay that kind of money without at least some research. Of course, some people have more money than brains.

Eric Queen

This particular one looks Pakistani made to me.

What's even more interesting is the "reference" material provided by the seller. Who is James Lansdale?

What's even more interesting is the "reference" material provided by the seller. Who is James Lansdale?

Jim Lansdale was a moderator on the J-aircraft forum and by all accounts an outstanding individual who passed in 2018. I purchased the complete set of Japanese Monographs on compact disc from him a few years ago, he was absolutely terrific to deal with.

http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=17785.0

Eric Queen

Thanks Rod. Had never heard of him. I wonder what he based his conclusions on regarding originality of the badges.