Tunic of RAF Observer Group Captain Thompson

Jumpmaster

Group Captain Thompson, RAF. Joined the RN at 12, served on the HMS Furious during the Battle of Jutland. Moved to the RNFC and then RAF as an observer pilot. Served in the Midde East (Iraq specifically) among other duties throughout his career. Intgerestingly was offered promotion to Air Commodore but turned it down in order to retire and care for his wife who was ill.

post-185269-0-36687000-1540989173.jpeg

post-185269-0-05296900-1540989191.jpeg

captainofthe7th

Nice looking tunic, do you have the citation for his award of the MBE? Is the last ribbon Naval Long Service? Very interesting cross service uniform. I am still new to the British field, but I have not yet seen a cross service uniform like this. It seems much more common in U.S. uniforms.

Rob

Rob

Thank you, if I recall from the family, its a Czech award. Ill dig more.

The interesting story is that I bought it on a whim, not being s uniform guy. Posted it on a RAF reunion blog, the family contacted me and we became friends. I offered to return it but the GCs niece said to keep it as they lost track of it and were happy it had a home. The rest of his goodies are in one of the RAF museums. If I can find the pics and letters from the GC in Iraq, Ill post as well

captainofthe7th

Rob

Thank you, if I recall from the family, its a Czech award. Ill dig more.

The interesting story is that I bought it on a whim, not being s uniform guy. Posted it on a RAF reunion blog, the family contacted me and we became friends. I offered to return it but the GCs niece said to keep it as they lost track of it and were happy it had a home. The rest of his goodies are in one of the RAF museums. If I can find the pics and letters from the GC in Iraq, Ill post as well

Last ribbon looks very close to the Czech Medal of Merit.

Yes, I just searched the Gazette with his last name and "Medal of Merit" and he appears in the 20 April 1948 edition.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/38264/supplement/2467

Very interesting! It seems his British ribbons do not tell the full story of his service in WWII at all.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Honestly I’m only as sure as his relatives are; they passed it on to me. I’ve not seen his records but had some photos and letters from him given to me by his great nephew. So it’s possible not, but either he or they believe he did.