USSR Parachute Badges

triplecanopy

Shown here are examples of a few of the early Soviet Parachute badges. The quality is very high and they did some fantastic craftsmanship with enamel. Note the custom 25 hanger on the 4th badge from the left. The 1st on the left is the 1935 Parachute Instructor Badge. Next is the 1935 Master Parachutist with the 500 + 90 Jumps tag. I will post some others later.

post-185301-0-06735500-1541074455_thumb.jpg

Wow those are some rare and hard to find pieces now and in immaculate condition. I remember after the fall of Communism these started to trickle out of Russia but many had minor enamel damage. I had the badge second from the left in my hand at a show once but couldn't bring myself to pay the $850.00 asking price from a dealer out of Moscow. I would image that you couldn't touch one of these badges at that price now. These are all being copied now and coming out of Russia. There is a very good copy of the one on the far right that looks exactly like this one. Anyway you could show the backs of these badges?

Reverse side as requested. I agree with you, these have gotten pricey and fakes are being made to fool collectors. I bought one myself years ago and after holding it and comparing to known originals, I sent it back and got a refund. I think one thing to look for is quality and uniformity. Those old Soviet badge makers did not make cheap insignia and the numbered tags are heavy and don't look like they were made from a coffee can lid. The enamel on these is a work of art.

post-185301-0-41453100-1541084826_thumb.jpg

Here are two of the 1935 era Soviet Master Parachutist Badges. I tried to keep the glare off and show these as large as allowed. Look at the detail in the enamel, canopy and rays. The aircraft, number and jumper are all separately applied pieces. It is hard (for me anyway) to take a photo that does these justice as I get a reflection off the enamel.

Note that the jumper is reversed on the badge on the right. I am not sure why they did that, but I have seen it positioned both ways on numerous badges.

post-185301-0-67543500-1541085393.jpg

This badge is a variation of one posted in another thread. I believe that this is a Basic Soviet Parachutist Badge from the 1935-36 period. Note the more detailed jumper under canopy.

post-185301-0-69618200-1541085912_thumb.jpg

I appreciate you sharing these photographs. Those 1935 Soviet Master paratrooper badges are pieces of art but as I remember very very pricey. I remember asking the seller of these badges why so much and he told me that we (Americans) were now competing with wealthy Moscow-ans who are now collecting these badges from a very limited supply in Russia. I kind of wish I had purchased one when I had the chance. Great collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a bit better photo of the early MAC TEP Soviet parachute badge. The lettering and enamel on these old badges is remarkable. The star at the top is also separately applied.

post-185301-0-61068800-1542053253.jpg