WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER bayonet

paulb104

Hi! I was referred from over at usmilitariaforum.com by Sarge. I've been tasked to help out a friend, a (very) senior sell his collection'o'stuff. Most of it is medals, both the awards and the commemorative, but once he learned of this type of forum (over there) he dug out of who knows where four bayonets that he's had for decades. Two are clearly German, probably from the first World War, one is now known as a French 19th Century Chassepot Bayonet, and the fourth one is still unidentified.

I'm hoping that folks here could give me more info on the two German pieces. I'll post one in this thread.

Stamped in the base of this blade is this

WAFFENFABRIK

MAUSER A.B.

CREFNDORFa.N.

It is about twenty inches long and the back of the blade has crosscut teeth in it for most of the length of the blade.

post-185323-0-51769900-1541095797_thumb.jpg

post-185323-0-15560700-1541095813_thumb.jpg

Glad you were able to find your way here! ;)

This WWI period German bayonet is a Model S98/05 sawback bayonet. These are also sometimes called "butcher bayonets" by some because the blade looks like an old butcher knife. They were made with both a plain back on the blade or a sawback as on this one. If you look very closely on the spine (back) of the blade near the hilt you may see a couple of crown markings and a two digit date indicating when this bayonet was taken into service. This is a fairly common bayonet in rough condition so its value would be in the $50. - $75. range only because it is the more desirable sawback version.

I hope this helps.

Well... I was trying to be nice in describing it as in "rough" condition. :rolleyes:

You know, somebody will buy it in uncleaned condition complete with dust bunnies and grunge. If you would clean it the thing would be just like the next one you see in "deplorable" condition. At least you can say it is "untouched" and "uncleaned" to make it stand out.

BTW, I should also explain the German bayonet nomenclature system. This is a "S 98/05 nA.S." Which means it is a Seitengewehr (bayonet or edged weapon sidearm) 98/05 (fits the Gew.98 rifle or Kar.98 carbine and was adopted in 1905) nA. (new model) S. (with sawback). A very complicated but typically German system of military equipment nomenclature.

that is one mean looking blade, and looks like it would do a lot of damage, i would leave it just as it is if it was mine , great ww1 artifact, thanx Gerard