Yugoslavia Parachute Badge

triplecanopy

Here is what an early Yugoslavia Parachute badge should resemble. I do not have full confidence in this example, but it does resemble that badge worn by Yugoslav Troops during WWII.

post-185301-0-20540100-1541290447_thumb.jpg

Thanks Robert. I knew if anyone had something to share in regards to this subject it would be you.

Honestly though, I don't believe that any of these badges were actually produced. There was one (1) Yugoslavian paratrooper training class (1939/40), there was a badge design but I guess I would need to see a photo of it in wear to believe it was ever actually produced.

emedals has one for sale they say was produced in Egypt. (pilot badge altered with parachute added)

https://www.emedals.com/a-royal-yugoslav-paratrooper-s-badge-c-1941

Here is the original class photo of the one/only paratrooper training class. There is a nice illustration of the design of the badge.

Serbian Para x.jpg

Awhile ago I was exchanging emails with a collector in the former Yugoslavia. He was a collector of the early WW2 and pre-WW2 Royal Yugoslavian pilot wings. I asked him about their same pattern WW2 paratrooper wing that is illustrated on Plate 60 in the book by R.J. Bragg & Roy Turner titled, "Parachute Badges and Insignia of the World". He told me that the paratrooper version of this badge never existed. I sent him photographs (see below) of one I had seen for sale at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona, California. He named an individual living in Ontario, California, whom he said were making these fantasy badges.

post-185261-0-21440600-1541369842.jpg

post-185261-0-81043300-1541369854.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these photographs. Very interesting as the individual I was emailing in the former Yugoslavia also told me that the back of the badge I photographed in Post # 3 as well as this one are identical to the reverse of early production Yugoslavian pilot badges made by Karnet Kysely Praha, Czech republic in 1930-1932.

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in Belgrade for two years, 2004-06, and was a member of the local militaria collecting group that met every Tuesday and never recall seeing a parachute badge. Plus, I became friends with several advanced collectorsand saw some pretty amazing and rare ephemera.

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

I'm new to the Forum, but a longtime collector of international parachutist qualification badges.  Like many of you, I'm still chasing authentic examples of a few of the rare WW2 para badges (Romania in particular), amid a sea of reproductions and fakes.  

I thought I'd offer up some photos of a WW2 Royal Yugoslavian para badge that I believe has a decent chance of being authentic.  I found it several years ago as part of an estate sale in California, by the family of a US Army chaplain who served in North Africa and Italy during the war.  This badge was one of about three or four dozen Commonwealth insignia in a small canvas bag among his belongings.  I didn't buy the lot, just this one.  My understanding is that SOE trained a small number of Royal Yugoslavian military personnel -- first in Egypt, then in Bari, Italy -- for insertion into occupied Yugoslavia, but no organized airborne unit existed.  Ignoring the story and just focusing on the materials and construction, I liked the fact that it has flat-wire lugs that were embedded directly into the cast brass, a common feature of authentic Egyptian-made LRDG badges.

Stay well,

Donovan

320E69BF-948F-4E1F-84F0-ACF4C1DC2866_1_201_a.jpeg

E2354FEE-1E29-4A65-86E3-F04D2667ABF1_1_201_a.jpeg