Imperial Col. de Koetteritz - Medals in photo help

stratasfan

My Sister (who does British and Russian military research) has been working on this gent for a while, and can't figure out what medals he is wearing. So, I thought I would post all the info we've found on here, and maybe someone can help. :)
Bernard Ernest Jule de Koetteritz
Son of "General de Koetteritz" of Leipzig, Brandenburg, Germany.
Born: 09 Feb 1806
Married Mrs. Emma Stewart (nee Ramsbottom) on 18 Oct 1849 in Florence, Italy.
Died 26 Apr 1888 in Florence, Italy.
He was buried in the "Cimitero Evangelico degli Allori" in Florence.
At the time of his marriage, he was a Colonel in the Imperial Russian Army. This is also what was listed on his English probate (retired Colonel) in 1890.
It's been suggested that his father was Ernst Von Koetteritz of the Prussian Army, and that his mother was Julie Eleanor de Montferrin. But that seems to be mixing Bernard Ernest Jules de Koetteritz with Bernard Otto Von Koetteritz. So, there is nothing definite about his parentage, aside from the fact that his father was a General.
Not much word on the medals at all, so any help is appreciated.
It was suggested by one gent that they are graduation badges, not medals. The upper one: most probably, Alexeyevskoe Officer School, Moscow. The lower one (Maltese cross): Corps of Pages, St. Petersburg.
One other suggestion was that the upper medal is a Regimental badge of 13th Life-Grenadier Erivan regiment.
post-185332-0-88938600-1541357141_thumb.jpg
Detail of medals:
post-185332-0-00504300-1541357146.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Still hoping for an ID on this picture, if anyone happens to know what any of the awards could be. Thanks!

I think the top one may be an Imperial Russian Cross for service in the Caucasus, 1859-1864. I found one currently on ebay here and this description of a modern fancy one here. There may be other Crosses of the same pattern for other campaigns, but the Caucuses campaign dates do fit.

808411907_CaucusesCross.jpg.a24bb3e0ecb73491c4dbd02065abbe35.jpg

The lower one is, I think, an Imperial Russian Cross of St John of Jerusalem, the wikipedia page for Paul I of Russia shows a painting where he is wearing a white maltese cross, I found one on ebay here.

352745785_RussianImperialMalteseCross.jpg.524e0418146aa2637c3afbcdd4824be7.jpg

Hope this helps, I found them based on the images, I'm not an expert and could be wrong (my first thought was: German Great War Cross and a Blue Max!)

@numbersix Thanks for those thoughts. They do look pretty good! This poor gent is a real hard one to track down -- and it can be confusing, because he was German but fought in the Russian Army. So, he could very well have awards from either/both, as I'm not sure he did not also fight with the German Army.