Spitfire vs. Stuka over Chicago

gwb123

High above the ground floor of Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, in a "sky" filled with historic aircraft, a Battle of Britain veteran Spitfire 1A and a Tropical JU-87 Stuka are locked together in an eternal dogfight.

Both of these aircraft are remarkable in their own regard. Very few Spitfires remain that can claim a Battle of Britain service record, let alone 5 victories.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-p9306.html

The Stuka is an even rarer bird. Reportedly there are only two surviving aircraft that are in intact condition. A handful of others exist, but are either in restoration or wreck condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

These photos date back to 2009, but from what I have seen on the internet the aircraft are still there and in very much the same condition.

CC 1.jpg

As noted, the JU-87 was captured in Libya by the British and later sent to the US for a tour to support the war effort. This is not one of the aircraft later brought back by our Technical Intelligence teams.

The remarkable thing about this aircraft is that it has retained its original colors, which would be a huge resource for model makers. It is, as mentioned, also a tropical model, with special modification. Completely missing are the "spats" which the early versions were famous for.

Also, true to its original condition, it has a number of bullet holes still showing, especially on the wing surfaces.

AA 0.jpg

AA 4.jpg

AA 5.jpg

The bottom side of the beast, showing a center mounted bomb on a trapeze apparatus and smaller bombs mounted on the wings.

Despite having been on display for decades, the aircraft is still revealing secrets as it is probed.

"The 3-D scan has turned up some new information, McCarthy says; it found a small trap door under the pilot seat that had been sealed over; it was probably used at one time for the pilot to have a clearer view of targets on the ground."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/museums/ct-stuka-msi-20150218-story.html

AA 1.jpg

A closer look at the cockpit area. What I found interesting is the gradient painted on the window... most likely when lined up with the horizon it gave the pilot his angle of attack. Note the bullet holes behind the air scoop and outside the gunner's area.

AA 2.jpg

AA 3.jpg

The Spitfire is positioned to look like it is flying straight off the painted box top of an Airfix kit. It wears a later pattern camouflage pattern and features a three bladed prop.

BB 1.jpg

Profile view of the Spitfire roaring into action.

Unfortunately, unless it has been moved, it is really not in the best position for multiple photo angles as the Stuka is.

I first knew about these aircraft from a photo in an issue of National Geographic in a mention of the museum. It took me probably 20 years afterwards, but I finally got to see them.

BB 2.jpg

BB 3.jpg

I hope you have found this of interest, an perhaps someday you will visit to see this and their other exhibits. Please see their website for details.

https://www.msichicago.org/visit/getting-here/

Oh, in case this was not enough to get your interest, should I mention that they also have a U-Boat?

See you in Chicago!

BB2.jpg

Great stuff! Have seen all in person over the years. As a kid had the thrill of going on U-505 when it was in New York around 1946/47. Great pics! Thanks.....Bob