WW2 Belgium paratrooper insignia

Tonomachi

Here is another WW2 era genuine Belgium paratrooper insignia. I picked this up maybe 30 plus years ago. It came out of a WW2 era Red Cross collection. I was told that everything in this collection was WW2 period or earlier so the assumption was that this too was a WW2 era piece.

post-185261-0-97324000-1541736626.jpg

Hi

it's very difficlut to say if it's a war patch or a post war

there is two picture of belgian para wings worn in ww2, take from the website be4046

for the other one, first time that I see it, you can maybe contact the webmaster of the site be4046 ( http://www.be4046.eu/index1.htm ) to have more informations

regards, hughes

post-185267-0-28419200-1541759216_thumb.jpg

post-185267-0-53395300-1541759225_thumb.jpg

I like the wing that started this thread, but as you well know, it is very difficult to differentiate a Belgian wing from this time period from a British wing, especially when we are looking at theater-made examples, which is what I believe this wing to be.

As for the second piece, it too is hard to say what precisely it is, as we can conclude that it is not a standard piece of insignia. I would assume that it was made for dontation to the Red Cross member who was amassing the collection that this piece came out of. Could you provide some sort of reference as to the size of this piece? Could it be a patch worn on an athletic uniform perhaps?

Either way, I like this piece too!

Allan

I like the wing that started this thread, but as you well know, it is very difficult to differentiate a Belgian wing from this time period from a British wing, especially when we are looking at theater-made examples, which is what I believe this wing to be.

As for the second piece, it too is hard to say what precisely it is, as we can conclude that it is not a standard piece of insignia. I would assume that it was made for dontation to the Red Cross member who was amassing the collection that this piece came out of. Could you provide some sort of reference as to the size of this piece? Could it be a patch worn on an athletic uniform perhaps?

Either way, I like this piece too!

Allan

Thanks for everyone's comments. The second piece is about 2 inches across by about 2 3/4 inches long.

Great photographs. I can't make out details on the first photograph but the second one looks like they are wearing standard British paratrooper wings with possibly black backgrounds. Since all three are wearing SAS berets I wonder why the center soldier is wearing an SAS paratrooper wing while the others are wearing standard paratrooper wings?

Hi, belgian sas soldier can only wear the sas wing after a mission. The para wing is wear after the formation. @+, hughes

That explains it thanks.

Just for my own understanding, what does Belgian jump wing mean exactly? I don't believe the design was different from the British wing in any way (other than the unofficial design with the Belgian shield in the middle) so does it mean the wing was produced in Belgium post liberation?

Just for my own understanding, what does Belgian jump wing mean exactly? I don't believe the design was different from the British wing in any way (other than the unofficial design with the Belgian shield in the middle) so does it mean the wing was produced in Belgium post liberation?

I was probably wrong in my thinking that per your research the Belgium airborne units did not have a specific paratrooper wing of their own and wore only British paratrooper wings. I was hoping I had a paratrooper wing made specifically for Belgium paratroopers during WW2. When I bought the paratrooper wing in Post 1 probably 30 plus years ago from an individual with a great deal of knowledge regarding worldwide elite unit insignia he told me that he thought this was a WW2 era Belgium paratrooper wing. I should have asked him in detail why he thought this was the case but I did not as I was happy to get it for my collection. I also bought the paratrooper wing in Post 2 from the same individual a number of years later. Now the paratrooper badge in Post 2 I believe was made specifically for a Belgium airborne medic type unit with some sort of connection with the Red Cross. I can't find the image right now but I have come across a post war patch with Red Cross and Belgium Airborne or Paratrooper embroidered upon it. However I have no provenance regarding either wing and the wing in Post 1 could in fact be a British paratrooper wing as there were so many variations produced particularly in the far east theater during the war.

Here is just one example of a wing which came directly from Belgian SAS member Charel Vyt (Sgt. B Troop). I think it is just a standard British wing.

250.JPG

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2018 at 8:10 PM, Tonomachi said:

Here is another WW2 era genuine Belgium paratrooper insignia. I picked this up maybe 30 plus years ago. It came out of a WW2 era Red Cross collection. I was told that everything in this collection was WW2 period or earlier so the assumption was that this too was a WW2 era piece.

post-185261-0-97324000-1541736626.jpg

I finally located my reference regarding Red Cross Belgium paratroopers (Chute & Dagger Newsletter) which may have there beginnings with the above WW2 era Belgium Red Cross related paratrooper insignia.

Belgium Red Cross Paramedics (2).JPG

• 11 months later...

This image came out of the summer edition of the 2008 Chute & Dagger UK Journal.  This is supposedly a WW2 era Belgium paratrooper wing.  This one differs greatly from those in Post #3.

DSCF2049.JPG