Cloth Insignia of the Luftwaffe

MECHINF-A15

I've always had an interest in ground combat units of the Luftwaffe but my primary interest has always been the German Army.

These days I have a small grouping of remaining Luftwaffe insignia that some may find of interest.

First up, GI "cut off" bring back from a FJ Unteroffizier in Normandy breast eagle on a Fliegerbluse section and section of the collar.

post-185217-0-29931000-1542411867.jpg

Next up, this is the oldest surviving piece (in my present day collection). This was in the estate of a GI in the Northeast U.S. purchased by a collector I knew. I bought this thinking it was a Heer Panzer tab. When I received it I was puzzled by the odd shape. It is a tailor made piece as worn by an officer or senior NCO. The black backing is velvet material and the piping is wool golden yellow. After doing a little research I came to the conclusion that it was intended for a member of Panzeraufklärungs-Abteilung "Hermann Göring". The HG PzAA switched from rose pink waffenfarbe to golden yellow on April 2, 1943.

post-185217-0-43306300-1542413247.jpg

Around the time of the fighting on the Anzio Front in Italy HG troops issued the field grey Sturmartillerie uniform and the black Panzer uniform began wearing collar tabs in the standard "Luftwaffe shape". From the old TM-E 30-451 shows a captured field gray Sturmartillerie wrap worn by a former member of one of the Panzergrenadier-Rgt. HG.

post-185217-0-51616700-1542413731_thumb.jpg

I've seen these tabs in:

Field gray wool, piped in white with metal Panzer Totenkopf (as seen in the previous post) for Panzergrenadier-Rgt HG.

Black wool piped in white with metal Panzer Totenkopf Panzer-Rgt. HG.

Black wool piped in rose pink with Totenkopf for Panzer-Rgt. HG.

As for my PzAA HG tab I have it paired with a Heer Panzeraufklärungs Oberfeldwebel strap.

post-185217-0-78060300-1542414843.jpg

Thank you for the kind words folks. Please do post some of your Luftwaffe cloth.

Here are some breast eagles & cap badges for the black HG Panzer uniform.

post-185217-0-31555600-1542466406.jpg

Here is a single Luft. tab & strap for Field Division Flak Unteroffizier.

Single tab & strap for a Flak Feldwebel as worn on the great coat.

post-185217-0-16243900-1542725533.jpg

• 4 years later...
S.ChrisKelly

Genuine Luftwaffe Gefreiter-winkel with shard of an un-identified newspaper (Zeitung)...  "classified/help wanted" section

☆Searching (gesucht) for a woman buyer (Einkäuferin) in a commercial business (handelsgeschäft) in Chemnitz.

☆Searching (gesucht) for saleswomen (Verkäuferinnen) in Luther City Wittenberg (which is the city of Wittenberg's official name - where Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses on the door of the Schlosskirche).

☆We're searching for (Wir suchen für) a tecnichal director (Technischer Betriebsleiter)...

20230505_200945.jpg

20230505_200956.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

Obergefreiter-winkel. 

Notice the stray threads (removed from a uniform), and the holes!  Likely, as was typical of American G.I.s, stapled at least twice to a board, and likely with other "war souvenirs" for storage/display.  The smaller holes were probably the result of insects' feasting on the wool.  Also notice the double-stitching to secure the tresse on the backing, most obvious on the reverse of the patch.  This is a genuine rank badge.

20230508_232210.jpg

20230508_232228.jpg

20230508_232154.jpg