Thuringer Wappen

SARGE

Gents,

I just picked up an interesting Thruringer Wappen and I am unsure what it went on. It consists of a die struck Thuringen insignia with two prongs as an attachment method on the back. It is approximately 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" in size and is gilt brass. It looks like a cap insignia to me. Perhaps for the Forestry service?

The very detailed insignia consists of a Thuringen lion rampant holding a swastika in its right paw, all on a shield. The lined shield motif is contained inside an oak leaf wreath. This motif is shown in the wartime Assmann catalog as their number 22141 (large) and 22140 (small). They simply list it under "Abzeichen aller Art" as a "Thuringer Wappen" without further explanation.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with this insignia and what its purpose was?

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Thur catalog.JPG

Thur catalog #.JPG

Thur badge.JPG

Thur badge back.JPG

Thanks for the reply. It would have to be post Weimar Republic since it has the added swastika. The Assmann catalog is circa 1938 and shows the same lion with swastika within a shield motif on the Thuringen Feuerwehr belt buckles (along with the circa 1936 Nationalized FW buckles). This Wappen is also shown on the Assmann Forestry (Forst-Feldbindenschlosser) belt buckles as their "Thuringen 23830" without the shield but surrounded with a wreath of laurel leaves as on the other officer style buckles.

I agree with you that this is most likely a civil service cap badge but I have never seen it before.

Thanks for the reply. It would have to be post Weimar Republic since it has the added swastika. The Assmann catalog is circa 1938 and shows the same lion with swastika within a shield motif on the Thuringen Feuerwehr belt buckles (along with the circa 1936 Nationalized FW buckles). This Wappen is also shown on the Assmann Forestry (Forst-Feldbindenschlosser) belt buckles as their "Thuringen 23830" without the shield but surrounded with a wreath of laurel leaves as on the other officer style buckles.

I agree with you that this is most likely a civil service cap badge but I have never seen it before.

Ach didn't even notice the Hakenkreuz :lol: