Sani Unterfeldwebel Waffenrock

DocCollector1441

DocCollector1441

This is my only original German uniform. I am typically not a uniform collector, but I saw this in a militaria shop in Normandy and decided to splurge a little bit. It is not in pristine condition, but I like it for what it is. It has two award loops on the chest. It is not named. I have been able to narrow down the unit this uniform represented by the shoulder straps to either Reserve-Kriegslazarett 602 or Krankentransport Abteilung 602 as these were the only two medical units I could find with 602.

post-185375-0-04483800-1542596601.jpg

post-185375-0-27339000-1542596665.jpg

post-185375-0-98541500-1542596885.jpg

This is a really cool uniform. Is it possible that it could be a Feldwebel with missing stars? Regardless, great uniform. Are there any award loops?

DocCollector1441

I checked both shoulder boards and I do not see any evidence of the pips for a Feldwebel. It was interesting that they 602 was not centered on the board like I would have expected for an Unterfeldwebel. Maybe he was hopeful.

There are two award loops on the uniform. Given the nature of the units I am not really sure what awards they would be. Most of my Soldbuecher to Sanis assigned to Lazarette don't have many awards besides the KVKII; if it was Krankentransport than maybe a GAB and BWB.

I too have a nice collection of medical items. I love seeing items like this tunic. Unterfeldwebel is still considered to be a UFFZ grade, which should've had embroidered numbers. As you said, he may have been really hopeful. Unterfeldwebel is a super rare rank, at least in my experience.

I have a soldbuch for a medical feldwebel (I collect Warsaw Uprising of 1944) whose only award, despite working as a medic during two uprisings in Warsaw, is a Hindenberg Cross for WW1 combatants. Despite his long service and involvement in two wars, he literally has no personal awards... Maybe he was a conscientious objector? That was my theory anyway...

DocCollector1441

PaulR, we have talked several times (I am Doc Walker on Facebook). My understanding is for Waffenrocks, the use of the metal cyphers was regulation. I need to double check Angolia and my Waffenrock book to be certain. I have a website that has been a bit of a pet project of mine. www.sanitatssoldaten.weebly.com (eventually I will spring for the domain). I find it interesting because in the U.S. the medical service of each branch tends to be among the most decorated (the absolutely most decorated in the case of the US Navy); but in the Wehrmacht, only a few Sani's or Aerzte ever received the RK and from my research none of them received it for heroics involving medical treatment, but instead generally obtained it for leading soldiers in offensive combat when they remained the senior man within their units. I have a couple Soldbuch where the Sani's received the EKII, but those seem to be the exception not the rule.

• 2 weeks later...