Pre-WWI German Mini Cavalry Sword

stratasfan

Stumbled on this link, and was wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these? They say it was for kids to practice with? I've never heard of something like this and was wondering if someone on here knew about these. Figured I'd share it anyway! (I am not related to or now the seller, just found this and it was so interesting I wanted to ask about the sword on here!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-WWI-GERMAN-MINIATURE-CAVALRY-SWORD-FOR-KIDS/322275273137?hash=item4b091a69b1:g:c6cAAOSwAuZX6vYf:rk:28:pf:0

Elizabeth,

These "Children's Swords" are called a Kindersabel in German. They are smaller than a "Cadet Sword" and more detailed than a miniature such as a letter opener size. As a matter of fact I bought two of them over the weekend at a militaria show. Give me a chance to get a couple of photographs and I will post them.

Until then, here is an example of a US Model 1872 Staff & Field KIndersabel size kid's sword next to a full size example. The Kindersable generally has a blunt soft steel blade so the little soldier won't put his eye out as Mother would warn in "Christmas Story".

Good timing on your question. B)

S&F swords.JPG

S&F small & large hilts.JPG

S&F small hilt.JPG

S&F small hilt back.JPG

Thanks for the info and pics! Would love to see photos of your new ones! Are they only German, pre WWI in particular? I mean the Kindersabels.

OK, pictures taken.

I bought two Kid Swords at the militaria show. One is a child size Austrian Cavalry sword that is complete with the scabbard, hanger, belt, and sword knot. The other is, I believe at this point, British but I am not certain. The "British" sword has a gilt metal hilt with a leather grip (no wire) and an ornate basket guard. The blade is un-plated mild steel with a blunt point. Remember that Dad wanted his kid to have a small sword just like his big one while Mom simply worried about her kid putting his eye, on someone else's eye, out. The scabbard is tin and the belt is black leather with a gilt two lion head tin buckle. All this makes me think British but I will have to do some research. While both of these swords came together, I don't know that they were for kids to play as opposing forces during WWI but it makes sense so I am going to think so. Some little German or Austrian kids probably had a great time with these swords a hundred years ago.

I think I will show the "British" sword in detail here and put the Austrian sword in the Austrian section. Anyway, I will show them together first.

Mini swords.JPG

Mini swords on bag.JPG

Mini swords clean.JPG

Mini Brit sword.JPG

Mini Brit sword hilt.JPG

Mini Brit sword blade.JPG

Thanks for the info and pics! Would love to see photos of your new ones! Are they only German, pre WWI in particular? I mean the Kindersabels.

The Germans made these little swords and exported them around the world. So, one will find US, British, Austrian, etc. Kindersabel made by the Germans in the same way Elastolin and other German makers made British and US soldiers along with their German models. They made them before WWI into WWII and beyond.

Here is an example of a Kid Bayonet (Kinderseitengewehr) that is mint on the original store package card. This is a small example of a German S98/05 Seitengewehr and probably comes from Bavaria (the blue and white knot and the pointed frog pocket tells the tale) during WWI.

Kinder bayonet.JPG

Kinder bayonet close.JPG