Model 1879 Reichsrevolver

SARGE

Gents,

Many of the large 1879 (M/79) Reichsrevolvers were issued to Artillery units prior to 1918. Of course they became redundant after the war and were destroyed or went into stores after 1918. The Peoples Militias (Einwohnerwehr) received these revolvers in the aftermath of the armistice from Reichswehr and State stores. We believe that the Bavarian Einwohnerwehr marked the ones we see with "EWB" or "BE" on the wooden grips but since they were issued from national Reichswehr stores as well as Bavarian State stores I see no reason why a Prussian, or Nationale, revolver would not have been issued by the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior to the Bayern Einwohnerwehr controlled by the Police as a Police Auxiliary.

I have one such example made by Dreyse in 1882 that is property marked to a pre-1918 Bavarian Artillery unit on the butt and post-1918 "EWB" marked on the grip. The Bavarian military property markings begin with a "B" unlike Prussian military property markings. There is no "B" below my serial number either but it was clearly made for the Prussians and then carried and issued by the Bavarians prior to, and after, 1918.

These old 11mm revolvers have quite an interesting story to tell.

EWB revolver R.JPG

EWB revolver L.JPG

EWB revolver butt.JPG

EWB holster.JPG

EWB holster open.JPG

EWB holster back.JPG