Paratrooper Wings worn by the French Air Infantry and 1st RCP

Tonomachi

My understanding concerning these paratrooper wings was that they were first adopted on August 26, 1938 for the French Air Infantry. They were worn on the left sleeve by the French Air Infantry until 1940. The 1st RCP (1st Regiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes or 1st Parachute Infantry Regiment) then adopted it as a pocket patch and they wore it until 1946.

post-185261-0-69463600-1542930480_thumb.jpg

The one on the right is supposedly a US designed SSI worn by French personnel training in the USA. This piece came with these I guess you can call them DIs, and a USAAC gunner's wing. There was a diary but somehow it got misplaced as I saw it before the owner decided to have the grouping sold by well known mail order insignia dealer.

post-185261-0-20286600-1542930652_thumb.jpg

Some nice looking insignia there Dennis. Here is a photo of a US paratrooper wearing the 1RCP insignia on the right pocket.

RCP x.jpg

Some nice looking insignia there Dennis. Here is a photo of a US paratrooper wearing the 1RCP insignia on the right pocket.

Great photo and there is yet another variation of this patch.

• 2 years later...

This just sold on eBay out of the UK for 110.00 dollar or 79 pounds (see link).  It was advertised as a "WWII FREE FRENCH 1ST RCP CLOTH PARACHUTE UNIFORM BADGE PATCH".  Compare the wing that just sold with a reproduction currently up for bid on eBay (see link).  I could be wrong but they sure do look alike.  This is why collectors dislike those folks that are making and selling reproductions because once they leave their hands as reproductions they sometimes end up as original period pieces and collectors end up losing their hard earned money.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-FREE-FRENCH-1ST-RCP-CLOTH-PARACHUTE-UNIFORM-BADGE-PATCH-/313410556968?nordt=true&nma=true&si=Ec0TXEahH7qwct5ODzRdHZlwdy8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRENCH-WW2-PATTERN-1ST-RCP-PARACHUTISTES-CHASSEUR-REGIMENT-SAS-COPY/122637153738?hash=item1c8dbe75ca:g:DpsAAOSwzXBZicXg

Free French Para Wing UNK (1).jpg

Free French Para Wing UNK (2).jpg

FF.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a recent pick up this morning at my first military insignia show since the virus shut everything down.  The seller did not know what this was so I got it for next to nothing.  The yellow thread on the front has a silk like feel to it.  This looks original so another variant has surfaced.

French WW2 Para Wing Silk Maybe (2).JPG

French WW2 Para Wing Silk Maybe (1).JPG

• 2 years later...