A Digger with the 1st Cavalry in Afghanistan

509thPIB

An Australian with the International Security Assistance Force, attached to the 1st Cavalry Division, which was a NATO-led security mission in Afghanistan, established by the United Nations Security Council in December 2001 by Resolution 1386, as envisaged by the Bonn Agreement.[1][2] Its main purpose was to train the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and assist Afghanistan in rebuilding key government institutions, but was also engaged in the 2001present war with the Taliban insurgency.ISAF ceased combat operations and was disbanded in December 2014, with some troops remaining behind in an advisory role as part of ISAF's successor organization.

post-185365-0-40203700-1543667530.jpg

post-185365-0-36585900-1543667538.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a really great photo, first, a US Marine, then the two Aussie's (wearing US OCP uniforms), a US Cavalry soldier, then a soldier in the standard US Army cap and then another Cavalry soldier. I think the US OCP (Operational Camouflage Pattern)was in general issue for Afghanistan about 2011. I deployed to Afghanistan in 2012 and that is what we wore. Interesting you don't see arms on the Aussie's or the first Cavalry soldier. I was issued an M-4 carbine and an M-9 pistol, unless I was going outside the wire, I didn't carry my M-4. Do they have side arms, or are they unarmed? We were required to always be armed unless we were in our gym cloths. Also interesting the first Aussie is not wearing eye-pro, we were required to wear it when outside. Also, he is not wearing the 1st Cavalry SSI, likely he has not been in country over 30 days yet.

Great photo, thanks for posting it.

BKW