Some British Medal Groups......

If memory serves me correctly, WWII British campaign medals could be sent out for engraving. I don't seem to recall this option was provided by the British government like US medals were engraved upon request with the quartermaster dept. Perhaps I read this in the Medals yearbook or Abbott/Tamplin's British Gallantry book !?! I do have a WWII grouping to a Westminster Regt(?) tanker who drove the second flail tank onto one of the D-Day beaches and his medals were engraved to him. I think I may have one or two WWII Polish exile groupings engraved in the same manner

If memory serves me correctly, WWII British campaign medals could be sent out for engraving. I don't seem to recall this option was provided by the British government like US medals were engraved upon request with the quartermaster dept. Perhaps I read this in the Medals yearbook or Abbott/Tamplin's British Gallantry book !?! I do have a WWII grouping to a Westminster Regt(?) tanker who drove the second flail tank onto one of the D-Day beaches and his medals were engraved to him. I think I may have one or two WWII Polish exile groupings engraved in the same manner

I am only aware of private engraving. I have never heard of official WWII named medals outside South Africa, Australia and Rhodesia. If someone has some officially engraved medals, by all means post them!

As I mentioned, I don't think these are "officially" engraved as you would see in the Commonwealth forces you have mentioned...but...I think this was a probably a private(?) service offered as I have seen a handful of medal groupings engraved in the same manner. Don;'t know if Jeff F. is on this board (he's on the US equivalent) but he may have a bit more insight on the subject. Its been years since I've posted pics...does it still work the same?

• 1 year later...

This group was saved from being split up and sold seperately. I traded my patched helmet bag for it at a show in the UK. My dealer friend felt it wasn't worth keeping together because it is unnamed. I say rubbish! I love the 5 star combo which is unusual.

-Ski

I second your rubbish and agree. Always better to keep the family together right I think those five stars really make the bar both from a service standpoint and visually its just an eye popper but simple

Anthony

• 2 years later...

Unusual to find a 12 medal group like this to a non-officer. 

Horace Tilbe was born in Dundee, Scotland in 1895, joined the British Navy in 1915 and died in 1970 in London.

Over the 30 years span of these medals he rose from the rank to Plumber's Mate to Chief Plumber (via Plumber 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st class)

Rob

108 medals.JPG

108 medals (2).JPG

108 reverse.JPG