Dutch WWII Commemorative War Cross with Bars

teamski

I am a big sucker for bars and this medal has them. This is a naval WWII Commemorative War Cross that includes the Normandy 1944 bar. I believe the top bar is for the merchant marine, but it has been a while since I looked it up. I bought this medal on a trip to Amsterdam in the late 1990's.

-Ski

post-185479-0-26309300-1544507528_thumb.jpg

The top one is for merchant marine indeed and if fact the whole medal might have been issues to a merchant mariner rather than Navy, since they too were involved with all those campaigns.

The top one is for merchant marine indeed and if fact the whole medal might have been issues to a merchant mariner rather than Navy, since they too were involved with all those campaigns.

I never thought of the Merchant Marine being part of the Normandy invasion, but I am sure you are right......

-Ski

The 'Normandie 1944'-bar is not just for the invasion itself, but for the whole Normandy campaign I believe. Apart from their normal duties, several Dutch merchant- and navy ships were sunk on purpose as part of the protective barrier for the Mulberry harbour.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes teamski, your WW2 Commemorative Cross, in Dutch Oorlogsherinneringskruis, was issued to a Merchant mariner. In fact these crosses are more scarce and more difficult to find here in the Netherlands.

So a great find.

Cheers

Herman