Polish Pilot in the RAF Insignia

Allan H.

It is somewhat difficult for me to want to throw this in with the "Eastern European" militaria, though Poland was a member of the Warsaw Pact in the decades after World War II. This insignia would have been worn on British RAF tunics during the second world war. For years, I have been enthralled by the bravery of the Polish 303 Squadron and thier exploits during World War II. When the Poles were finally allowed into the fight to defend England against the Luftwaffe bombing raids, the Poles went in with gusto. Polish pilots were claiming more kills in single engagements than other RAF squadrons were claiming in a month of combat. The numbers were so staggering that RAF High Command refused to believe Polish pilot reports until the numbers of crashed German aircraft confirmed these Poles' claims. The Poles of the 303 Squadron were unequaled when it came to knocking German aircraft out of the sky.

The Poles were rewarded for their braveryand outstanding combat record by not being allowed to participate in the British Victory parades after the end of hostilities. The Brits feared angering the Soviets by letting Polish troops march in those parades. After the war, many Poles were forces to return to Soviet controled Poland, most against their wishes, because again, the British didn't want to grant asylum to soldiers from a country occupied by a British ally. Many of those Poles did not survive long after their return to native soil.

Here you have two Poland nationality titles. One is mint and the other has been trimmed and obviously worn. The blue collar tab with the single star is a rank insignia for a Flying Officer. The crown jewel is a pre-WWII Polish pilot badge manufactured in Warsaw by the Jan Knedler Company.

post-185251-0-55540300-1544615400.jpg

Details of the pilot badge. The chain is missing the hook that was designed to keep the chain in place to make the badge appear to be hanging on the uniform.

Allan

post-185251-0-18411000-1544616164.jpg

post-185251-0-83435200-1544616181.jpg

Nice looking group. I have been wanting to add a Polish pilot wing to my collection for a while. Good originals as you show here are getting quite difficult to find.

Jack

Nice little grouping and super badge Allan. Always thought the originals of these were beautifully made. Can anyone post a portrait of one of these in wear? Would be nice for folks to see how the chain was held in place.

Sometimes you see them worn without the chain. Here is a shot I see that looks to be the correct way the wings were worn. I have a JR Gaunt pair I will try to post at some point.

-Ski

post-185479-0-57458400-1544629685.jpg

• 1 month later...

It is somewhat difficult for me to want to throw this in with the "Eastern European" militaria...

And no wonder that it is difficult for you. :)

Poland has never been (even in WarPac era) "Eastern" Europe. Poland is the Central Europe as many other states including -- among others -- Germany.

Regards!

Sometimes you see them worn without the chain.

Yes, one of them was Maj. Witold Urbanowicz -- great friend of Gen. Chennault and one of his Flying Tigers in China.

post-185155-0-71126200-1547940049_thumb.jpg

post-185155-0-45045500-1547940061_thumb.jpg