Republic of Iraq: Order of The Republic

Jumpmaster

One of the highlights of my foreign collection. Description from Mr. Owain Raw Rees:

The Order consists in two classes and grades of the emblem of the Republic of Iraq in its natural colours surrounded by two light green palm leaves, which cross at the base of the emblem and tied as a bow. At the base the inscription "The Order of the Republic" in Koufic script. At the top of the emblem a small wreath with a ring to link the medal to the ribbon. The First Class badge is surrounded by an octagonal multi-rayed golden star with five rays between each point. On the reverse of the Order a flat eight pointed star with white circle in its centre of 3cm diameter with the inscription in Koufic script "The Order of the Republic", below the date "1377 H". In the centre a gilt circle, 1.75cm diameter, inscribed "The People" and to the bottom left an Arabic sword with a Kurdish dagger to the right side. At the top the 14 July flame. This inscription, sword, dagger and 14 July flame is a three dimensional pattern oval in shape and in the middle equilateral triangle written in it the letter "G" in Koufic script and represents the strength of the army and its merging with the people. 

post-185269-0-64408100-1545577814.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks, it’s a scarcely seen piece I thought was a good start to a thread. A little more info: 

More info from Mr. Rees...This was instituted by Qassem to replace the Order of the Rafidain. In two classes, both neck badges (1st class yes and proabably 2nd class also a neck badge), civil and military divisions with crossed swords on the suspension wreath to differentiate these divisions. It was manufactured by Huguenin. I believe the 2nd class does not have the sunburst outer rim.

Clearly the kingdom Rafidain was the target as we know it was reinstituted in a Republic version.