MPAJA Cap badge Fact or Fiction

Gunslinger

I'm choosing to create separate post about the MPAJA badge since i don't want to hijack the Rarest Formation Sign post. Let's keep it civil but would like to hear other thoughts or opinions as to why this was a Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army Cap Insignia.

As long as i can remember this badge was referred to as Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army badge, but unfortunately that is not correct. The badge is actually a Malay Section * Group B * Force 136 cap badge. The MPAJA wore a cloth insignia with three red stars on a five peak cap. There is no photographic evidence showing the MPAJA wore the Force 136 cap insignia. It is claimed that the MPAJA " refused " to wear the Malay Section Force 136 badge because of the tiger in the design.

The Malaya Section of Force 136 was comprised of Anglo, Chinese, Chinese Canadians, Malays, Indians and others. I believe this is the source as to why this was mistakenly identified as a Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army badge.

This information is based on recently release documents within the last 10 - 15 Years in which some are Declassified documents of Force 136. The source information can be found at the National Archives Kew and Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army regimental history in Hong Kong.

CDub

CDub,thanks for the information and trust that you are correct,infact it is better that you are correct since it makes the badge more valuable as a British badge and connected to SOE and OSS. The problem is really with the internet as to validity to what we find. Watched a documentary on the force that basically said it was company sized which is approx 200 personal and said that part was comprised of 150 Canadian Chinese mainly from Vancouver. Than you have the well known book "Some Talk of Private Armies" by Len Whittaker that apparently clouds the issue. You will have no fight from me, I am always willing to admit a mistake which I have made many times, it is more important to get it right and let the fact speak.

I don't believe it's a lack of diligence with regards to the Force 136 cap badge being mistakenly referred to as Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army. Much of what we know about WWII Special Forces is attributed to Len Whittaker and his years of research. In fact his book STOPA mentions about the badge not being worn due to the MPAJA being Communist Guerilla force which chose to retain their red stars. The MPAJA considered the SOE badge to be an emblem of a Imperialist force. There were smaller Guerilla groups that were not associated with the MPAJA that may have worn the badge, however there is no documented proof that this ever happened. In fact the only photographic evidence that can be found is the Malaya Section Force 136 wearing the cap badge.

Force 136 Malaya Section at time of the Japanese surrender in August 1945 is claimed to be about 370 - 375 personel of which 88 were Officers, this does include 134 troops from the Gurkha Parachute Battalion that had infiltrated Malaya.

CDub

• 3 weeks later...

Below are some images from Newsreel footage show the uniform of the MPAJA, which supports the Force 136 badge was never worn by the MPAJA.

MPAJA Liaison Officer with Force 136 during the course of the war, his name is Chin Peng. One can see the five point cap he's wearing doesn't have the Force 136 cap badge, instead he is wearing the insignia of the MPAJA which consisted of three red stars in a triangular shape.

post-185392-0-84735100-1548363056.png

CDub

Image of MPAJA troops

This image shows a group of MPAJA Soldiers with the five point cap and the insignia of the MPAJA which consisted of three red stars in a triangular shape. This image is very interesting do to the fact that all of MPAJA troops are wearing the Formation sign of 34 Indian Corps and not the MPAJA Formation sign which had red background with three yellow stars.

post-185392-0-30455400-1548363581.png

CDub

It was completely unexpected to find this image showing the MPAJA wearing the 34 Indian Corps FS, i've never heard of FS being worn by them prior to finding the newsreel image.

It would be entirely speculation to assume why the 34 Indian Corps FS was worn, but one thing is for sure it's certainly worthy of looking into further.

But if i had to speculate, i would assume this more Politically motivated than not.

CDub