Seeking a little guidance... Researching a KIA WWI Victory Medal from Private Frank Smith, 8th Bn. Norfolk Regiment

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

Will post pics later for the good of the order when I get my phone back from my daughter!

"They Shall Not Grow Old" sparked the Anglophile in me, which comes to the surface every now and again. I bought a few medals, all named but not to the same man, a couple years ago to have my own "Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred" and decided to dive deeper in the research tonight as I wait for the other WWI Brit medals that are in transit to me as we speak. I do adore the UK National Archives, in that they have a very easy search. I was able to figure my man out, and using ancestry as well as Fold3's listing of UK personnel's personal effects, I found out that my man, Private Frank Smith of the 8th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, was killed on July 19th, 1916. The Somme. My British collection is minuscule compared to my US stuff, but I know enough to show proper respect and awe to that nightmare.

Turns out the 8th was at Delville Wood, more properly named Devil's Wood. A German account listed the bodies as piled 4 deep in places and the lowing of the wounded resembling cattle for sale... I later read that the Norfolks have a cemetery nearby.

My query is, does the UK have a listing of war graves? I've tried to search with not as much luck as I would have if I were trying to find the gravesite of a US KIA. I just know American resources better, I think. Only 800 of the 3,500 Norfolks made it.

Anyways, here's to Private Smith. Tipping some British Rum to him this evening.