Royal Navy Teak Souvenirs

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

I stumbled onto these a while back and find myself going after them every now and then. First one was for use as a class example since battleship development is something I emphasize in both 9th grade world history and 10th grade US history, and two of the ships I have pieces of participated in the Battle of Jutland which was, of course, pretty important! While I do applaud the Royal Navy for putting pieces of their ships out there like this, it's a shame that not one early British dreadnought survives besides the one they built for Japan- If you can call it British.

I believe these were sold to raise money, does anybody know for what, exactly?

You can probably see in the pictures, but L to R, we have the HMS Iron Duke, Warspite, Ganges and Terrible.

post-185628-0-62790500-1546481578_thumb.jpg

Can't find the reference I have somewhere, but if I remember, the timber was given to the crew association for the particular ship. The doodads were sold to raise funds for disabled sailors, family survivors etc. Wish the USN did something similar.

I have one from HMS Warspite. Amazing ship with an incredible history. I am constantly amazed I have a small piece of her on my shelf. Heartbreaking that they scrapped her, but glad these things survive.

Mikie