1950s 'Peaked Hat Winter'

P-40Warhawk

1950's Canadian headgear is not something counted in as a strong point in my collecting knowledge, so feel free to educate me on this hat. The cap itself appears to be made of a serge wool, and the sides appear to fold down (I did not take photos of that because I forgot). The leather chinstrap has a slit in each end, and the chinstrap 'button' is just that - a clothing type button sewn to the hat. I would assume that a regimental badge would have been worn on the front of the hat.

post-185092-0-75779900-1546658313_thumb.jpg

I would assume this was something worn with a service coat in garrison duty, but feel free to explain how it was worn.

That is a funky looking hat, never seen one before. Sorry I can't help, but thanks for sharing!

Yeah I have to say I had never seen one before, but I don't really collect 1950s hats either. :lol:

It looks similar to a cap that was issued in WWII for winter/ski troops (if a google search is accurate).

I would assume this was something worn with a service coat in garrison duty, but feel free to explain how it was worn.

These were used in Korea.

koreacap.jpg

These were used in Korea.

attachicon.gifkoreacap.jpg

Great photo!

I don't know why exactly, but if those soldiers did not have the enfield rifles in their hands, they wouldn't look out of place in one of the 1950s space movies. I guess the hat reminds me of something from Forbidden Planet, or one of the 'futuristic' hats (usually always grey looking) of a 1950s tv spaceman.

Great photo!

they wouldn't look out of place in one of the 1950s space movies. I guess the hat reminds me of something from Forbidden Planet, or one of the 'futuristic' hats (usually always grey looking) of a 1950s tv spaceman.

Sci-Fi still uses something similar for the Imperial troopers I believe. The Sci-Fi seems to take their look from the WWII German field cap, which seems to have copied civilian ski caps of the 1930's.

wintercaps.jpg

Good catch!

I tried looking around the other day for photos of the 'Peaked Hat Winter' and it came up with a bunch of similar (but earlier) Canadian WWII hats which seemed to be modeled even more on ski caps.

Well that solves several mysteries, but leaves open the question of why sci-fi costumers liked ski caps so much? :lol: