Vietnam V C Canteen & Food Pouch ?

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

Most of you know me from many years on US Forum. I seldom get any non US items so it maybe years before I post enough so I can sell it to you on here :P This pouch is about 7 by 8 inches and 4 inches thick. It has markings inside top flap and on face of flap button, but I can not read them. It has two pieces of square wood sewn into the bottom of one of the two compartments. Lady said man she got it from said he picked up when in the military and the wood was to make the bottom more rigid for a canteen to set on it. I do not know so that is why I'm posting on here. What is is and what is a fair value, Richard the old retired guy in FL.

post-185692-0-23993800-1546801572.jpgpost-185692-0-70450500-1546801581.jpgpost-185692-0-49105200-1546801594.jpgpost-185692-0-87791200-1546801607.jpgpost-185692-0-91425200-1546801626.jpgpost-185692-0-48733400-1546801641.jpgpost-185692-0-57496700-1546801662.jpgpost-185692-0-00244400-1546801683.jpg

suwanneetrader

Well that is an interesting ID Thanks for your input. I know to take Flea Mkt seller's ID with a grain of salt but if I see something that I do not know what it is and it is CHEAP :D I buy it as Militaria (Old US) has gotten very scarce in Central FL. the past year or so. Most all the WWII Vets I know are in a Home or past away. A shame the Greatest Generation is about gone as they taught me alot. Richard

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a sign say I buy militaria in my dads shop in South Florida, and very rarely do I ever get any good hits. Even what few flea markets are around the area rarely yield anything anymore.

That looks very similar to an item in Emring's Weapons and Field Gear of the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.

On page 89 he has an item that served as a pouch for a "ChiCom angle setting tool for positioning the 122mm single shot rocket launcher".

The material looks lightly different, but the overall design looks to be the same. This would explain the two slats of wood in the bottom, to keep the instrument in place in the pouch.

It's not VC or NVA made, it's a Russian or com block made gas mask bag.

Some of the Russian export gas masks to North Vietnam had bags similar to this,

It's not VC or NVA made, it's a Russian or com block made gas mask bag.

Some of the Russian export gas masks to North Vietnam had bags similar to this,

Well, I will admit, that does seem to be the case. Here is a clearer photo of such an item.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6051

With that said, such bags may have been repurposed in Vietnam to hold other gear, such as the rocket angle tool. (US troops over time certainly did so with their protective mask bags.)

It's too bad the stamped markings are not clear.

At least I think we can all agree that it is not suitable for a canteen.

RussianGM.bag.JPG

suwanneetrader

See I learned something my first week on this forum. :D Look in the FS section I've reduced to $11.00 and I'm paying US postage. So if you want an example I'm the cheapest Richard

This is the photo I was going by from Emring's book. It's the only thing in the volume that looked close to your item. A larger photo in the book would have helped.

Of course, taking a second look, the flap on the item in the book is more rounded, while the Russian gas mask bags is on more of a 45 degree angle. I think we are going to have to go with that.

Used in Vietnam? Who knows?

122mm Angle.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I'm not sure what model of mask this bag is for, and I have not seen pictures of this bag in Vietnam, however Soviet style gasmasks were sent to Vietnam.