P-08 Webbing

P-40Warhawk

I found these old photos of a set of P-08 webbing I was working on assembling, but I never did get all of it. Anyway, This was going to be the start of a WWI 'Tommy' display that was never finished, but maybe I will find the rest one day. Some of the webbing came from the same dealer, while the gas mask bag and uniform were purchased from a moderator.

Any of the P-08 webbing can be expensive to purchase. The right and left ammo pouches for example, are probably the two biggest purchases a collector of P-08 webbing can make, maybe short of an original P-08 bayonet frog and helve holder in decent condition. When I started this, it was my intent to portray the average Tommy circa 1916-1917. Matching pieces were not high on the priority list, and so I ended up with a 1915 dated pouch with the stud closure on one side, and a 1916 dated pebbled snap (popper) closure on the other. I have had the chance to replace the stud type (or even purchase the other side in the stud type), but I kind of like the mismatched look, and I felt it gave some realism since a Tommy probably did not care what they had. Maybe I should change it out in the future, or better yet maybe I should complete both sets. :lol: The belt is 1914 dated and also unit marked, but I don't remember the unit and all of this was packed away a long time ago.

post-185092-0-68782500-1546817348.jpg

I have some other things that weren't in the photo (and some things I picked up later) like a nice MkI 'Brodies' helmet, and I think a piece of webbing or two that I don't remember anymore.

Nice set but what you have is 1908 Pattern Webbing, not 1907.

Right you are! I have no idea why my finger kept hitting the '7' instead of the '8'. I'll ask a moderator to fix my typos. I didn't even catch that when I posted.

This is the set of 1908 Pattern Web which I use for public displays. It was put together about 30 years ago with pieces from my collection that I was comfortable allowing the public to handle. For this display set there were two reproductions used, the usual head and helve carriers. This set is weighted in order for the curious public to experience just how much was carried.

post-185685-0-34631400-1547070277_thumb.jpg

Very nice Ed! Good set up there. I wish I had bought more of the P-08 webbing before the prices really took off. I passed on a few of the original helve holders because at the time, they were hard to find but available. Now they are all bought up. If only we knew then what we know now about rarity, but collecting is about the fun of it anyway.