Question about photo of a U-boat commander and his cap

MattS

I think I see a Luftwaffe enlisted man's strap on this U-boat commander's cap (rounded buckles in the middle). Can someone confirm?

I know sometimes a replacement strap was whatever was available.

post-185417-0-41347300-1546955837.jpg

post-185417-0-79665600-1546955847_thumb.jpg

Photo was found on Facebook, captioned, "Robert Gysae was a Korvettenkapitän with the Kriegsmarine during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves".

• 3 weeks later...

Matt,

I have seen this particular style of chin strap, with rounded buckles, on other caps. I suspect you are right that it was whatever was available. A nice photo of Gysae with his salty cap and casual chin whiskers.

Thanks for the reply! I was under the impression from my days of studying German hats that this was a Luftwaffe style strap, the Heer strap being similar with rectangular buckles, and the SS style had the buckle in the center. The correct KM strap looks like this (most discernible by the snap button on the strap):

post-185417-0-12183100-1548632390_thumb.jpg

Matt,

You are quite right that the KM cap that you show has the "standard" Navy chin strap. However, I have learned over the years to "never say never" when it comes to Third Reich minutia such as patches, chin straps, etc. Actually, your wartime picture of Gysae sort of proves the point. Here are a couple of these chin straps on a couple of Luftwaffe (actually Luftpolizei) and Schutzpolizei caps.

der Spiess close.JPG

Luftpol cap.JPG