PAB Reference Book

JimD

The German Panzer Assault Badge of WWII by Phillipe De Brock is a very expensive two-volume set but it has already saved $250 on this fake Friedrich Linden "43" PAB.

When the books arrived and I opened to the "Reproductions" section I almost thought I was holding the exact badge pictured in the book. Fortunately I bought the badge from a reputable and honest

dealer who thought the badge was original and is fine taking it back. And the other PAB I bought at the same time is a textbook Rudolph Karneth semi-hollow reverse.

No one likes spending money on reference books but they are sometimes a lifesaver.

post-185524-0-36183400-1546974168.jpg

post-185524-0-86925000-1546974177.jpg

"No one likes spending money on reference books but they are sometimes a lifesaver." Appears to be the mantra of today's 'collectors' and why they frequently get burned buying reproductions and fakes. References are actually the foundation to knowledgeable collecting and are essential tools that are worth every penny.

Reference books and "hands on" experience, both of which are sometimes difficult to acquire. That is why this forum and its parent forum are valuable.

Jim

"No one likes spending money on reference books but they are sometimes a lifesaver." Appears to be the mantra of today's 'collectors' and why they frequently get burned buying reproductions and fakes. References are actually the foundation to knowledgeable collecting and are essential tools that are worth every penny.

And I agree by the way.

post-185524-0-32412800-1546987547.jpg

That's the problem with TR though...for the casual collector who only wants one example of a PAB, the cost of the book is arguably not worth it. These are great for type collectors. Sadly, with the plethora of fakes, it makes it tough to casually collect this field...a reason online forums are of great help, so long as people are willing to use the search bar and view a bunch of examples