57er Knight's Cross Stickpins

Brig

One of the nice things about 57ers is you can find reasonably affordable Knight's Cross miniatures...or as I call the large combos, "careers on a stick". During WWII, stickpins were limited by regulations to 3 awards or less. There was no such limit under the 57er regulations, and it was not uncommon for the veteran to wear his entire complement of awards on a stick.

I am a rather avid 57er miniature collector, however 57ers are not that popular in the US, and even tougher to find as they didn't make their way over here as veteran trophies. Most of these I have acquired from overseas, and occasionally from a US collector who acquired them the same way.

thumbnail (39).jpg

thumbnail (47).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpeg

thumbnail (3).jpeg

thumbnail (56).jpg

These mini stickpins are great! You are right that they are very hard to find this side of the pond. 57ers have a loyal following and I particularly like the "Careers on a stick" aspect of these veteran badges.

The Honor Roll Clasp shown on your first group on post 2 is an often under-rated award. These were hard to earn as they came for exhibiting personal bravery and you had to be mentioned in dispatches.

That one is probably my favorite combo shown...not only the Honor Roll clasp, but both EK's have clasps as well...obviously an old hand and highly decorated Grunt...sadly his name is lost to history

Aside from the first two posted (RK/EK/EK combos), these are all by St&L....by far the largest producer of post-war awards. Some tell-tale signs of Deumer (top two) are the side-by-side vice overlapping mounting, and the silver details in the center of the crosses. The 7 award combo with GAB above mounted side-by-side is an unusual mounting for St&L...normally you only see such type mounting by them with awards added to the stack for post-war service or enamel awards, and usually only those awards are off to the side with the rest overlapping, like the ones shown below:

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (9).jpeg

I had not noticed the overlapping vs side by side mountings until you mentioned it. Good observation!

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a nice Luftwaffe 6-place with the finish mostly gone that the vet converted into a pinback. I've seen this a few times, and have been hoping to pick up such a conversion for awhile

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg