A WWII International Romance

Scarecrow

I have in the past posted this grouping on the USMF but thought some new members of the WMF might enjoy it. Kind of a long story but I will tell it anyway as there may be some Interest. About 15 years ago I acquired this lot belonging to a Chinese Pilot, who graduated from the Luke Field Advanced Training course, earning his wings (Dondero), . As you can see the lot contains his Pilot wings, a Chinese Aviation cadet patch and a graduation photo of his class. The photo was inscribed to "Kelly" from Jackson Fong, in Miami Beach. For all these years I wondered how a recently graduated Chinese Pilot met an American girl in Miami Beach! Even if they were granted leave would they go from AZ to FL? I thought highly unlikely. A couple of months ago I purchased a book titled "The Immortal Flying Tigers" published by the Ministry of National Defense, ROC.. It is a book of personal reminiscences, not by the AVG Flying Tigers that we know but by Chinese Pilots who flew in the CACW. ( Chinese American Composite Wing) Many of their stories start with their training to become pilots and most were sent to the US for flight training. You would think that once graduated, in AZ, they would be sent back to China via the Pacific route. But no. I learned that once graduated they were shipped via train to Miami Beach! Where they awaited ship transportation to Africa, then flights to India then to China. The wait in Miami beach could take anywhere from a week to a month. They all mention how well they were received by the people of Florida. The 15 year mystery of how Jackson Fong became acquainted with "Kelly" in Miami Beach was solved. If I hadn't purchased that volume, the mystery would continue today. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Paul
post-185142-0-08645100-1547265797.jpgpost-185142-0-30051100-1547265813.jpgpost-185142-0-36524400-1547265820.jpg

I heard that some supplies were shipped to China going via the east coast. I guess the Pacific was too dangerous to traverse. Thanks for sharing that. Rarely, stories of the Chinese pilots are told.