I have an easy question for 'our' British WW1 era Cap Badge Experts ?

Hello Guys, I've searched a bit for the answer to this, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. If someone here could provide the answer for me, I'd really appreciate it ! Be advised that it's quite an elementary question, but something I've never have determined.>>> "WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN OFFICER'S & AN ENLISTED MAN'S WW1 ERA BRITISH, R.F.C. CAP BADGE" ? Any information on this will be very helpful to me. THANK YOU Guys, I really appreciate it.

Best regards, dpast32

A bit belated, but officer and other ranks cap badges are completely different. Like the RAF, the RFC other ranks badge is a metal badge with the letters and Crown surrounded by a wreath. The officer's badge is usually made of bullion (metal ones exist) with a metal eagle with branches underneath topped by a detailed crown.

-Ski

post-185479-0-08125000-1547731214.jpg

post-185479-0-64684200-1547731219.jpg

ive never seen an actual rfc bullion officers cap badge attached to ww1 cap and reckon they were actually made post ww1 , the more common medal badge was universal between officers and enlisted the only difference being the cap it was attached to

loose ones enlisted

on cap is officers

post-185625-0-42626900-1547743043.jpg

post-185625-0-02210400-1547743048_thumb.jpg

Well, I stand corrected! After your posting, I looked up the cap badge in Congdon's Per Ardua Ad Astra and sure enough, all ranks of the RFC wore the same cap badge right up to the creation of the RAF in 1918 when the new officer's cap badge we know today was created, developed from the RNAS cap badge that was worn when the RNAS was created in 1914. My bad! The book mentions that many officers continued to wear their regimental badges even after joining the RFC, a practice that ended in 1918. I saw one of those uniforms in a collection that belonged to a Camel pilot who was killed in action in 1917. He still wore his original badges. Thanks for correcting me!

-Ski

Well, I stand corrected! After your posting, I looked up the cap badge in Congdon's Per Ardua Ad Astra and sure enough, all ranks of the RFC wore the same cap badge right up to the creation of the RAF in 1918 when the new officer's cap badge we know today was created, developed from the RNAS cap badge that was worn when the RNAS was created in 1914. My bad! The book mentions that many officers continued to wear their regimental badges even after joining the RFC, a practice that ended in 1918. I saw one of those uniforms in a collection that belonged to a Camel pilot who was killed in action in 1917. He still wore his original badges. Thanks for correcting me!

-Ski

every days a learning day Ski that book is certainly a good one