Imperial Japanese Navy Cap Tallies

vostoktrading

Thanks, Bob for posting the photographs. My apologies for not having finished some of my displays and translating the names... its on my "to do" list . However, this has been an interesting thread and an opportunity to see what other collectors have hidden in their collections...its impressive. Clearly the IJN had a ton of different cap ribbons on their sailors caps between 1925 and 1945 and I have to believe that somewhere there must be a list of all the different ribbons. Plus there is a lot we don't know about the who, where and how they were made. In the past year I have seen 2 ribbons with obscure unit names that I had no idea existed. I also added one of the souvenir ribbons to my collection that was found in a flea market in Norway! There remains a lot to be learned. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of what a few of you have in your collection.

As a final thought which I should have mentioned earlier. When collecting IJN military ribbons, I think we may not want to forget cap ribbons that look different but represent ships that took a very large part in the war in the Pacific. They are cap ribbons from Japanese civilian ships and merchant shipping. Many of these ships became a part of the Japanese war effort and were used as costal defense ships, transports for supplies and equipment, as troop ships and transporting POW’s. Many of the ships were bombed, torpedoed and sunk. Cap ribbons made for these ships, while not military style ribbons, represent “ships at war”. They do come up at times on some of the on-line auctions and at military shows. Before passing them over, the ships name should be checked for what it did in the war.

vostoktrading

Thanks Eric for the identification of the Destroyer KAWAKAZE!

I'll dig it out again and have a close look to see if it's a remake or hopefully a good period one.

vostoktrading

Eric, thanks for the clarification of the base at Makou. So it was a naval base on the islands between Taiwan and mainland China. Interesting.

vostoktrading

I was wondering about these embroidered standard navy ribbons.

The one on the top I'm satisfied is an original period piece.

The one on the bottom I got from eBay and I am feeling it's not authentic. It feels stiff, synthetic and new.

I do see the bottom one for sale often enough online.

Am I right or is it OK?

post-185640-0-16971800-1548471808.jpg

vostoktrading

tiger41's ribbon collection is staggering! It must have taken ages to accumulate all those ribbons.

I agree that the merchant ships are something to watch out for. They took a beating throughout the war both from the air and from submarines.

While this isn't a ribbon, it's a nice memento from not too long before the war in the Pacific got started.

MS Kamakura Maru bringing a man back to Hawaii from Japan.

Possibly a Nisei (second generation American of Japanese ancestry). Might be a Kibei (Nisei who went to school in Japan but planned to return to the US). Might be just visiting family. Maybe businessman.

I'm not sure of the fate of the MS Kamakura Maru.

Most of these ships would have been impressed into government service during the war and likely lost.

post-185640-0-62847500-1548473006_thumb.jpg

vostoktrading,

Thanks for the kind words on my collection. The steerage card is very cool. According to my book, the Kamakura Maru was requisitioned by the navy and was used as a transport ship during the war and was lost Apr 28, 1943. That is all I have on it. If you go back to my pictures of the souvenir ribbons (case with family pictures). The pictures are my friends family taken in the 1930's in Oakland, CA with the visit of the Iwate and several other ships. My friend was not born yet and his mom and dad were Japanese living in CA. and went to see the ship.

I agree the Post 42 ribbon is not good.

vostoktrading

Here are some close pictures of the Destroyer Kawakaze tally. It looks and feels ok to me but then I want it to be original but I don't have much experience with these things. Perhaps tiger41 & Eric Queen would be kind enough to render their verdict?

post-185640-0-97498500-1548902240.jpgpost-185640-0-29156900-1548902264.jpg

vostoktrading

On 7 August 1943, Kawakaze was on a troop transport run to Kolumbangara. During the battle of Vella Gulf she was sunk by gunfire and torpedoes of the American destroyers USS Dunlap, Craven and Maury, between Kolombangara and Vella LaVella. Of her crew, 169 were killed, including her captain, Lieutenant Commander Yanase.

post-185640-0-69985100-1548902753_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find a decent photo of Kawakaze so here is a photo of her sister ship Umikaze.

Thanks Eric....but my "expertise" is far outweighed by what I don't know and I can't read as many words as you. However, lets do this. vostoktrading...I assume that you are coming to the SOS in 3 weeks....bring the Kawakazi ribbon with you and lets take a look at it there. Is that ok ?

Fantastic thread!

I very much enjoyed looking at, and learning about items I know nothing about.

John, l look forward to seeing you and your sidekick (Dean) at SOS.

The "Show" is 3 Weeks away and for any one who hasn't been to the SOS you should make an attempt to do it just one time for the experience. It's not the old "Great Western" show but nothing is ? But, to be sure its a great show, well run and at 1,900 tables....you never know what will show up. The venue is 1/4 mile of the Louisville airport, easy to get in and out. This time of year, weather may be the only problem. Please stop by our tables...it would be great to meet and talk with you. Well worth the trip !

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you SV1976....I just got back from the SOS show in Louisville and for those who haven't done the show "you don't know what you're missing. The show always changes from year to year and this year was no different..."helmets, a lot of helmets" this year including an army cherry blossom and an army para for sale. A navy 1st pattern helmet cover (nice one) several with nets. I met several of the contributors from this forum at the show and the time was well spent talking with them. Vostoktrading (who started this thread) was there and he brought along an interesting cap with ribbon that I'm hoping he will post just so everyone can see. I had picked up a different cap but of the same type. They are for civilians who work for the navy but wear uniforms and cap with ribbons similar to navy caps. So...Vostoktrading......you're home and rested after a long flight, let everyone see the cap. To those who stopped by my table, it was indeed a pleasure to meet you all. I had a good time talking with you all...of course I did most of the talking...but thanks for listening to me ramble on.

On a sad note, I was shocked to hear of the passing of Jim Landsdale......a short time ago Henry Sakaida and David Aiken passed also. Their research and contributions into Japanese aviation was outstanding and much of what we know now was a direct result of the work they did for many years....the passing of all three in a year is a great loss for our hobby.

On a brighter note; Ron Werneth's new book is out "Fall of the Japanese Empire" ...first hand accounts and unpublished pics of US and Japanese vets during the war. A good read !!!!!!

vostoktrading

The SOS was great. I had a wonderful time. It's been 6 years since I made it so it was nice to see some old friends and make some new friends. I learned a lot this trip and had some great discussions. I also managed to pick up some good stuff. It was great to meet tiger41! Thanks for taking the time to take me around, show me the real stuff, straightening me out on some things and introducing me to some people. I learned some valuable information on Japanese collectibles. Thanks!

The flights for me to get up to the show are killer. Honolulu to LA, LA to Atlanta, Atlanta to Louisville; two to three hour layovers in between. Then go through it all again coming home.

It's worth it though.

6 years since last time. I missed seeing some good people who passed away. Garth Thompson for one.

I hope I can make it back next year!

Here's that civilian cap you mentioned. I believe it was identified as postal service for the military forces.

post-185640-0-02425200-1551335730.jpgpost-185640-0-77953700-1551335738.jpg