some of my West German Collection part 5

ussjfkcv67

Robert, again you have posted some very nice items, proving that these came off an old collection. Some remarks:

post # 5: What we see are 3 early pairs of pre 1980 rank insignia. Oberst, to sew on the so called "Panzerkombi" and shoulder loops of an Oberstleutnant and Hauptmann with metal clasps and 21 mm diameter stars. In the early 1980 these were replaced by the 17 mm stars (Leutnant, bottom row, left).

post # 10: Depicted on the left is a so called "Volksmarsch" (volksmarch) medal. Volksmarching were very popular German/U.S. hiking events over here until the early 1990's. The medals "awarded" after the march were fantasy products often containing of local coat of arms or pre 1945 medal elements. So I think the depicted volksmarch medal is not related to the ribbon bars depicted in the same post. We have once started a thread about these medals in the USMF.

post # 2 Your depicted Kragenspiegel (collar insignia) proof the "early collection" theory.

Lars

Kragenspiegel.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/213584-volksmarch-badges-show-yours/?hl=volksmarch

As of today, we have 16 topics on the USMF on Volksmarch medals. I know while I was in Germany there was at least one club producing Volksmarch medals with de-Nazified military style badges. There was another that was making medals with WWII generals like Rommel and others. Unfortunately they were too far out of my area to participate.

Your Vilksmarch medal may have been earned by a Bundeswehr soldier, an American GI, a civilian or a tourist. All are possibilities.