A WWI Medal trio saved from the trash.

Old Marine

These medals to a Private in the Seaforth Highlanders were given to me by a coworker years ago. Evidently his wife found them when cleaning out an old sewing can and was going to toss them in the trash. My coworker knew I liked medals, patches and military stuff and bought them in to work and gave them to me.

The ribbons on the 1914-15 Star and the 1917-18 medals are replacements. The ribbons were disintegrating so I replaced them for display in the riker box. The original ribbons or what's left of them are kept in the box under the pad. The ribbon on the Victory Medal is original ribbon that was on the medal when I received them.

Anyway, I feel honored to be the custodian of this soldier's medals and to have been able to save them from the trash.

I researched and read about the Seaforth Highlanders and their participation in WWI. If any one has any observations or comments about the medals or the individual I would appreciate them.

Thanks

Dennis

post-185204-0-61429400-1548982903_thumb.jpg

Good set of medals.
His name was James Edgar.
He went to France 17 December 1915. [from Medal Index Card]. This date does not appear to correlate with a specific Battalion deployment so I would assume he went as a replacement.
The “S” prefix to his Service Number indicates war time enlistment.
His Service Record do not appear to have survived the fire of 1940.

post-185219-0-00635100-1549020733_thumb.jpg

Very nice trio thank you for sharing. I have collected militariafor over thirty years, and have a house full, but the only itemsI have to a family member is a similar trio named to my Great Grandfather who served in the British Army WWI. I am glad you were able to save this. Kevin

Now that Richie got his first name, I can give you this. He was with the 7th Battalion..... This is from the Medal roll. If you want the full image, message me your E-Mail address. Technology rocks. I used to have to pay for this back in the day, hehehehe......

-Ski

post-185479-0-72305500-1549069384_thumb.jpg

Great save, Dennis! Now Pte. Edgar';s memory will live on a while longer. The Seaforth Highlanders have a great fighting history. Google 7th Bn Seaforth Highlanders WWI for their War History. Wonder how the medals ended up in PA. Maybe he immigrated. More research to be done? Regards - Bob

Great save, Dennis! Now Pte. Edgar';s memory will live on a while longer. The Seaforth Highlanders have a great fighting history. Google 7th Bn Seaforth Highlanders WWI for their War History. Wonder how the medals ended up in PA. Maybe he immigrated. More research to be done? Regards - Bob

Very well could be possible. Also remember that relatives could inherit family medals. I met a guy here in Delaware who's uncle served in the British army in WWI and had his trio. His dad emigrated to the US but his uncle stayed in the UK. When his uncle died, he got his medals.

That said, there are a couple Edgars from Scotland that emigrated to the US that could be candidates. Here is one. It would be tough to verify though.

Name: James Edgar

Birth Date: 7 Apr 1890

Birth Place: Scotland

Death Date: 9 Sep 1968

Death Place: Hopkinton, Washington County, Rhode Island, United States of America

Cemetery: Gate of Heaven Cemetery

Burial or Cremation Place: East provenance, provenance County, Rhode Island, United States of America Has Bio?: N

Spouse: Eva Edgar

Children: David William Edgar

Raymond P. Edgar

Donald H. Edgar

URL: https://www.findagrave.com/mem...