Unknown Japanese Pin

SARGE

Gents,

This pin came to me on a Japanese police or civil style uniform but I have no idea what it indicates. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

Japanese Police uniform pin.JPG

I have never seen this kind of pin before the double cherry blossom was used by the Japanese however the sun at the top is odd to me....haven't seen anything like that on something Japanese. The bottom kanji is "sprit" but the top character I can't find and I'm not sure if its Japanese. Possible it may be Chinese. I would think its something patriotic however I can't be sure it. How about the back, what does that look like or is there writing on it ?

Thank you for looking Tiger. Yes, the ten petal cherry blossom is the typical Army insignia and is seen on the backstrap of Japanese Army parade swords. The pin came on a civil style uniform worn by the Army Auxiliary Police. This same distinctive sun insignia is also on the embroidered cap insignia which is very similar to this badge. I believe this cap badge is also a Prefecture insignia. I just don't know what the characters on the metal badge indicate. Also, there are no markings on the back of the badge, only a simple wire pin.

Here are some Army and Police insignia from Jim Dawson's book "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945".

Jappol badges.JPG

Jap mums.JPG

2011 display hat.JPG

It occurs to me that I should post pictures of the entire uniform in the uniform section. That may better help ID the pin. If anyone has seen this insignia before, or can read the two characters in the pin, I would love to know more about these insignia.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/314378-japanese-army-auxiliary-police/

Thanks for looking.

I think Sacred Heart (Seishin) could be possible. Seishin in Standard Script is written as 聖心. But, nearly all (or at least that is my impression) of Japanese badges and medals of the era used what the Japanese call Tensho (篆書) or Seal Script.

One way to write Sei in Seal Script is attached.

I must admit though that I do not understand what it actually means or why it is on the uniform.

blog.jpg