BW Private Purchase Knife

SARGE

Gents,

Here is a private purchase copy of the field knife issued to Bundeswehr soldiers. While this knife has the same general appearance as the issue knife it is a "PX" knife made in the style of the item of issue. Notice that this knife has false screws in the plastic handle along with a German tri-color diamond shape insignia. The blade is chrome plated and has a maker marking on the ricasso. The scabbard is non-ferrous metal that is painted green to match the leather belt loop.

This knife was a gift to me as the giver knew that I collected German edged weapons.

BW knife.JPG

BW knife maker.JPG

BW knife grip.JPG

BW knife blade.JPG

BW knife back.JPG

Thanks Tony. I did make a mistake in the description when I said the blade was plated. It is actually highly polished stainless steel (Rostfrei). Also notice the finely serrated blade edge that can be seen in the closeup.

Nice knife with bottle opener (most important!). If you don't mind I'm posting an original issued Kampfmesser for comparrison.

Messer1.jpg

Messer2.jpg

Messer3.jpg

I don't mind at all. I think there were several variations of the issue knife is that not so?

And, yes that bottle opener is very important when you are thirsty at the end of the day after your official activities are finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarge - Nice knife!

Here is an image of a knife I picked up in West Germany when I was stationed there. I bought it at a little shop in Tubingen, Germany in about '76 or '77. As I recall, the shop was on a square near the big stone cathedral. The shop reminded me of an Army Surplus store in the States.

I had been on the lookout for a sturdy knife I could use in the field as a cutting tool, opening boxes or crates or rope and it had to be somewhat impervious to the weather. I had seen knives like this one that the W.German soldiers used and I thought that would work for me. Being a private at the time, I didn't have much money and this one didn't cost much - about 20 Deutsche Marks (about 9 dollars with the conversion rate at that time). I had previously checked out all the knives at the local PX. They were all nice knives but they cost quite a bit more.

The knife was used when I bought it and it definitely is not "minty" today but it is a very serviceable knife. I had the knife blade engraved with my personal information to memorialize my 3 years in the Army stationed at Panzer Kaserne.

Thanks for looking.

Kim

post-185115-0-49022000-1551386366_thumb.jpg

post-185115-0-04967800-1551386381_thumb.jpg

post-185115-0-20730700-1551386399_thumb.jpg

post-185115-0-88573800-1551386411_thumb.jpg