Japanese helmet with netting - looking for opinions

jlh

Jlh,

You’re asking the right question “Can anyone give me an opinion on this net”. But I’m afraid an opinion and not an assurance, may be all anyone can give you. Which may not answer your question. However, I will give you my opinion for what it’s worth and I hope it helps you get to the answer you want. I would need to know, did the net come on the helmet or was it as a separate piece? Is there a story behind it? The answer to these questions may help you make your decision. There are people out there who are making really good nets in their basements. I’ve seen them and know who made them. All you need is some skill, creativity and old string and you have a great and “expensive” fantasy piece. The Japanese produced several different pattern nets and wore just about anything on their helmets they could find from fishing nets to field improvised nets. Clearly, this net is not one of the several standard issued nets…wrong material, pattern, color…everything. So, it is not a fake net per se. So that leave us with, Is it “period” field made or something someone just made up. While anything is possible, is it likely or probable? For me, there are still too many questions. Based upon what I see (the net alone) I don’t think I would be willing to take a chance on this net until I know more. In either case the net is too “iffy” to purchase or to say I have faith it’s a good piece. However, is that white trim around the helmet star? If it is that’s interesting! Like to see a better picture of that.

tiger41

Thanks for your input.

I don't have any other info on it, it was misidentified as a North Vietnamese helmet on eBay. Someone paid $745 for it...

I wasn't interested in buying it, just was curious if it was a downright fake, as I had never seen a net like that.

Was the helmet itself a good one?

The helmet is correct in the features I can see....its mark a size small. (while character on the interior flange) Can you take a closer pic of the star on the front.. Can you take a picture of the back of the liner pad that sits on the forehead....there should be an ink stamp there that will have a date on it. I can read it for you.

The helmet is correct in the features I can see....its mark a size small. (while character on the interior flange) Can you take a closer pic of the star on the front.. Can you take a picture of the back of the liner pad that sits on the forehead....there should be an ink stamp there that will have a date on it. I can read it for you.

I appreciate your help!.Unfortunately this is not something I have in had so I can't get you the requested photos. This is very helpful for future reference!

No problem....its an interesting helmet especially with the star appearing to be outlined. Appreciate your posting the pictures.

No problem....its an interesting helmet especially with the star appearing to be outlined. Appreciate your posting the pictures.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes the outlined star of interest?

Thanks!

There is a great deal of discussion among Japanese collectors as to whether Japanese soldiers painted their helmets with camo colors, or enhanced the insignia or painted a name on helmets. It's not earth shaking but its a small thing worth seeing. I'm not sure how many others noticed it. While you don't see a lot of it, it was done...and it was done by the Japanese. There are enough period pictures showing some of these things. I'm a headgear collector and its little things that make your day a little more fun....seeing something a little different or new. You never know....thanks for showing the helmet.

• 3 months later...

Looks like a very nice conditioned original helmet! I don’t think you will ever know for sure if that is a period made net.

Regards

Russ