Bavarian Mounted Police Saber

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a Police issue Prussian Model 1891 enlisted sword this weekend that I thought I would share. The Polizei nomenclature for this sword was "Sabel fur Berittene" (S.f.B.) or sword for mounted policemen. The Fischer manual, "Waffentechnischer Leitfaden fur die Ordnungspolizei" indicates the grip is Hartgummi (hard rubber) but they will be found made of wood as well. The sword I picked up over the weekend has a hard rubber grip and was made by Simson Co. in 1915 and is Prussian marked and dated on the spine of the bright blade. The blade is also carefully sharpened per WWI wartime regulations as is often seen. The obverse guard is Government property marked "1920" and the underside of the guard is property marked to the Polizeiwehr Bayern (Pw.B.). The Bavarian Polizeiwehr was only in existence from late 1919 to 1922 when it was broken up by the occupation authorities for being to militarized. This sword was used by the mounted riot police and was only issued for a short period of time.

Pol Sabel hilt.JPG

Pol Sabel guard.JPG

Pol Sabel blade.JPG

Pol Sabel PwB.JPG