Two RCAF Officer’s Service Dress coats

Brian Keith

I purchased these together from a vendor who mainly dealt in vehicle parts, he said he was selling them for a friend and didnt know any things else about them. I think their WW II era. The wings are Kings Crown.

First is a blue service dress, with RCAF buttons, Pilot Officer Rank on the cuffs, USA tabs and Royal Canadian Air Force Pilot Qualification Badge. It has two names in the sleeve, P/O Adams and Ford.

Photos:

post-185335-0-36822900-1550439130.jpg

post-185335-0-06699600-1550439151_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

The other is a cotton service dress, is this what is called stone color? It has Pilot Officer Rank on the shoulders, RCAF buttons and Royal Air Force Pilot Qualification Badge. Is it unusual for a RCAF uniform to have RAF wings? I thought they were from the same person, but with different wings, Im not sure. I find not name in it, the name tag was never filled out.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

BKW

post-185335-0-50204600-1550439319.jpg

post-185335-0-35246300-1550439332_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Two great tunics! Thank you for sharing them. The first one is a cracker of a piece with the USA nationality titles. This is the first time I have seen the USA titles executed on RAF blue barathea rather than on black. I've seen a number of Canada nationality titles executed this way, so it makes sense that the tunic would be Canadian made. The RCAF pilot brevet is a typical example of a Canadian-made, machine embroidered, brevet.

The second tunic most likely did belong to the same pilot based on the circumstances of your acquiring them. I would think that a collector would have made certain of establishing that fact. These tan twill tunics show up a lot in India and in the Pacific theater. It is very common to find the brevets converted to a pin back so that they could be removed for laundering as the wings never held up well in the wash. While it is unusual to find an RCAF pilot not wearing RCAF wings, it should be noted here that the RAF brevet is Canadian made and machine embroidered, so it is a possibility that the pilot who procured them simple got the wrong brevet when he purchased one.

Allan

Thanks for the comments everyone. Allen, I really appreciate your analysis of this and the RAF tunic in another thread. The tan tunic shows almost no wear, I find no makers label or markings. It also has an other slight oddity, the two right side pocket buttons are regular RAF buttons, not RCAF.

Much regards,

BKW

Brian,

What you have posted in the two threads are great pieces as was your Canadian flyer's BD. I REALLY enjoy RAF and commonwealth and have enjoyed collecting it myself.

I'll bet that the pilot used whatever buttons he could find. It is something we collectors go crazy over and the vets wonder why we get bent out of shape out of a couple of buttons.

Allan