Type 99 Arisaka

tanks1921

(1) This rifle is missing it's cleaning rod, sling may be incorrect. It has an interesting "chop" to it's forestock. It is just as I received it, I only cleaned it up a little.

post-185150-0-17132300-1550540354_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Rifle! Looking at Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt, it looks like your rifle is from the 33rd Series made by Toyo Kogyo, Hiroshima Prefecture. The missing cleaning rod would be one of the short ones, 4 7/8 inches long. To me, the damage looks like a high velocity fragment struck it. I would call it likely combat damage. I'm not sure about the sling but it may be original. Excellent to have the Mum intact! Nice bayonet also. Thanks for showing it.

BKW

Brian Keith has the ID of your rifle correct.

The correct cleaning rod for your rifle will be 4 7/8" in length, but there are two diameters to the shaft size. Your rifle will take the smaller (approx. 3/16" dia.) rod. The larger 1/4" dia rod is for the Nagoya rifles and will have a Nagoya or toriimatsu (ij) inspection stamp on patch end. Toyo-Kogyo rods are unmarked. There are also reproductions on the market to contend with.

Photo #15 are past inspection stamps for receiver tolerances.

Your sling is a Swedish sling, not Japanese. Neat serial number!