Luftwaffe TR helmet - original suspension?

Bob Hudson

I assume this basic helmet with Luftwaffe eagle is real, but wonder about the suspension. It sounds like a lot of Luft helmets survived the war in good condition because they were hardly used, but this leather seems too nice to be 1940's vintage.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thanks all.

These seems to have a 5-digit lot number: 11388, but the last two numbers seem to be a different font. ?????

7.jpg

Looks like a super un-messed with M40 to me.

Does the lack of a chinstrap have a big impact on value? A picker buddy got this at a local auction and knowng him, I doubt he paid too much for it, but he was quite happy to hear it might have some value,

lol super helmet, the chinstrap lowers the value you maybe $75 or a little more. They are not easy to get anymore, but this is a really nice clean SD helmet. Decal is about 95% which helps it

• 3 weeks later...

That is a textbook later war Quist Luftwaffe M40 single decal. The Quist shells are identifiable at a glance because the vent pressing has a fat "donut" shape to it. Quist shells are also heavier than those of other makers, and the distinct blue color is also a trait of their Luftwaffe M40s. The liner is a later war ersatz/low grade leather hence the flaking. It may also have a sort of strange rubber/chemical smell to it. A lot of these unissued Quist Luftwaffe helmets came home with GIs. The chin straps were issued separately, which is why these helmets typically do not have them (and never did). Great example!

That is a textbook later war Quist Luftwaffe M40 single decal. The Quist shells are identifiable at a glance because the vent pressing has a fat "donut" shape to it. Quist shells are also heavier than those of other makers, and the distinct blue color is also a trait of their Luftwaffe M40s. The liner is a later war ersatz/low grade leather hence the flaking. It may also have a sort of strange rubber/chemical smell to it. A lot of these unissued Quist Luftwaffe helmets came home with GIs. The chin straps were issued separately, which is why these helmets typically do not have them (and never did). Great example!

Thanks - my buddy is quite pleased now with his find.