Type 19 Army Kyu-Gunto Sword

SARGE

This Japanese Army "Parade Sword" is often mistaken for the almost identical "Police Sword" but there are distinct differences.

This Army sword was first adopted in 1875 (Meiji 8) as the Type 8 Kyu-Gunto (First Military Sword). It was later modified in 1886 (Meiji 19) as the Type 19 Kyu-Gunto. Regulations state that the grips of these swords for officers below the rank of General shall be black horn, although other materials may be seen. General Officer swords were to have grips made of turtle shell. Type 8 sword scabbards have two suspension rings while Type 19 swords have one ring that is removable or only one suspension ring after circa 1932.

The quick way to determine the difference between Army and Police swords of this type is to note the backstrap decoration. Army swords will normally have a ten petal cherry blossom on the back of the pommel and on the "ears" of the backstrap. Nearly identical Police swords will have a Police badge on the back of the pommel and a five petal cherry blossom on the "ears" of the backstrap. The same applies to ten- and five-petal cherry blossoms found in the guard design.

This sword is a Company Grade Type 19 Kyu-Gunto having the top suspension mount on the nickeled steel scabbard removed leaving only one ring. This is a particularly long sword indicating a tall Japanese Army Officer, or perhaps a mounted officer who affixed it to his saddle, owned this particular sword. Jim Dawson, in his book, "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945", believes these long swords were most probably worn by horse mounted officers. Interestingly, the top suspension ring has been removed on this sword (instead of the lower one) which would hike the regain position of the sword upward so the sword would hang straight and not drag on the ground when worn from the belt regain hook in this position. The blade is plated steel as is common on these Type 8 and Type 19 swords. Notice the black grip and the hilt decoration on this sword indicating this was a sword for a low ranking Army Officer.

Japanese Army Parade Sword.JPG

Japanese Army Parade Sword hilt.JPG

Japanese Army Parade Sword pommel.JPG

Japanese parade sword.JPG

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that the Japanese used normal looking swords! If I saw this, I'd never even guess! Gorgeous item! Is it as long as a US or European sword would typically be?

Great information ! Super pictures, well done and thank you for another learning experience. Always looking to learn more.

Tony

Thanks for posting, Sarge! I would love to pick up either variety of Type 19 Kyu-Gunto for my collection. I was fortunate enough to add an Officer's Shin-Gunto (of the "wall hanger" variety) and also a Type 95 NCO sword to my collection over the past few years and would very much like to add a Type 19 to go along with them. You can't ever have too many swords, can you? ;) I saw several for sale at the SOS, including many described as Police swords. Of course you've pointed out the correct way to discern between the two.

If memory serves me correctly, doesn't a more ornate backstrap (with the design going farther toward the crossguard) indicate a higher ranked officer on these swords? I may be wrong.

Great pictures and information! Thanks again for posting!

Kev

Hi Kev,

Right you are that you can never have too many swords! At least that seems to be the premise that I am working under. Variety is the spice of life.

Your memory is correct that a more ornate backstrap does indicate a higher rank. In the example shown above there is some ornamentation on the pommel but none on the backstrap itself indicating a low ranking officer such as a Lieutenant. The higher the rank the more ornamentation on the backstrap. This does not include the addition of family mons or other owner added ornamentation. Here is an example of the very similar Japanese Police model sword, for a higher ranking officer, showing the difference between the cherry blossoms, the pommel badge, and the backstrap. A picture is worth a thousand words.

The backstrap rubbings are taken from "Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945" by Richard Fuller & Ron Gregory. The Police sword is from my collection.

Japanes swords.jpg

Japanese Police High Off sword.JPG

Japanese Police High Off sword backstrap.JPG

Japanese Police High Off sword hilt.JPG