Signed Hand Made Blade Imperial Japanese Army Shin Guntō

Kanemono

In response to rising nationalism within the armed forces, a new style of sword was designed for the Japanese military in 1934. The shin guntō was styled after a traditional slung tachi of the Kamakura Period (1185-1332). This mint condition sword has a traditionally constructed hilt (tsuka) with ray skin (same) wrapped with traditional silk wrapping (ito). A cherry blossom (a symbol of the Imperial Japanese Army) theme was incorporated into the guard (tsuba), pommels (fuchi and kashira), and ornaments (menuki).Officers' ranks were indicated by colored tassels tied to a loop at the end of the hilt. This sword has a brown and blue tassel for company or warrant officers. The blade on this shin guntō is a signed contemporary hand forged water tempered blade made by Masa Haru.

post-185184-0-08164500-1552237971_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-85534700-1552237979_thumb.jpg

post-185184-0-50960000-1552237987_thumb.jpg

Kanemono,

Thanks for showing your very nice Army Shin Gunto with some interesting variations. I first notice the blue hilt wrapping (ito) which matches the interior color of the sword tassel for company officers. These are normally brown but this one is quite different. Do I also see a couple of blue washers (seppa) at the guard (tsuba)?

Could we also see some shots of the blade showing the steel and the temper line (hamon)? I presume this is a gendaito water tempered blade, is it dated?