Sad News for the Japanese collecting field

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

Just received a message this morning that Mr Nakata of Nakata Shoten, passed away.

He was the last or a group of hardcore collectors that started the Japanese militaria collecting in Japan.

I am saddened to hear of Mr. Nakata's passing. He clearly was one of the icons of collecting Japanese militaria. I purchased his first book In the 1970's, when it was first released and it was the best $17 I ever spent. It opened up a part of collecting that I did not know existed. His book was the "bible" of collecting for many years...until his second book. Both books remain on my library shelf well worn and used. He shared his personal collection with us in pictures and his books have done more to promote the hobby then anything else that I can think of. While I did not have the opportunity to meet him, I met his son at a show and again at his shops in Tokyo. We spent hours walking around his shop handling and looking at everything. A year later I was working on a project and needed something that could only be purchased at his shop. A friend went their for me and spoke with Mr. Nakata and explained what I needed and Mr. Nakata gave him the items to give to me along with an autographed copy of his second book. His generosity and kindness will always be remembered....it is what our hobby should have more of and sometimes doesn't. His contributions to collecting will always be remembered by those of us who know we wouldn't be where we are today without him. Expressing my sincere condolences to his family on this forum is exactly the kind of place where he should be remembered. We are here because of him. I hope that it will give his family some comfort in knowing how much pleasure he brought into others lives...certainly mine.

A life well lived....

• 2 weeks later...
Rakkasan187

I think I have a book by this gentleman,,

Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Uniforms and Equipment..by Tadao Nakata.

Is this the same gentleman??

I purchased his book 20 years ago from the Scholars Bookshelf..

Sorry to hear of his passing

Leigh

RustyCanteen

That is sad news and a loss to the hobby. The book was certainly a good one, and deserves a place on the collector's bookshelf.