Kaiser Willhelm II Commemorative Cup?

Old Marine

Old Marine

Hello all,

I have had this cup for a while but I have never been able to figure out exactly what it is or why it was made. The cup is made by Petrus Regout of Masstricht, Holland and measures about 4.5 inches (114.3mm) tall. The crown and the "W" are the same style and design as the crown and "W" on the Imperial Iron Cross. I am guessing that this has something to do with Kaiser Willhelm II who was exiled to Holland in 1918 and lived there until his death in 1941.

Willhelm was born in 1859 and died in 1941, he began his reign of Germany in 1888 and abdicated in 1918, Germany invaded Poland in 1939 so the dates on this cup don't seem to have anything to do with his birth, death, his reign as Kaiser or the beginning of the Second World war.

Do any of you guys have any ideas as to what I have here or the significance of the dates?

Thanks

Dennis

post-185204-0-47922800-1559246484_thumb.jpg

Dennis I suspect it has to do with Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands who began her reign in 1898. 1938 was celebrated as her 40th Jubilee year.

IMG_2936.PNG

Old Marine

Well, there you go. I was looking in the wrong direction. That makes perfect sense. The Crown and W are very similar to the German Iron cross.

Thank you for the enlightenment Dirk.