StuG III Ausf. F/8 - Kharkov 1943

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Thanks Mike, a very interesting link! I have never thought of tropical color (RAL 8020) used at the eastern front in 1942/43. Here's another thread, dealing with the base colors of the StuG that fought in Kharkov:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/wss-stug-iiig-base-colour-in-kharkov-t315595.html

I did a lot more online research concerning this and it's my understanding that both color variants are possible. So departing from my initial intention I decided to choose the dark grey (RAL 7021) variant for a better effect with the whitewash.

Proud Kraut

In addition to that the DRAGON construction manual proposes the grey/white color scheme for the Kharkov campaign.

MECHINF-A15

Lars,

I agree you made the right choice going with the dark gray base coat. Tropical painted vehicles on the Eastern Front during this time period

were the exception rather than the rule.

Proud Kraut

Hairspray chipping. The idea of this technique is to achieve a used and washed-out look of the vehicle's coat. This works very well with winter camo. After the white paint of the StuG has dryed completely it is partially brushed away with a wet brush or in this case toothbrush.

20jun00.jpg

The Meatcan

That's looking nice, Lars. Worn whitewash over gray base is a classic finish that you are carrying out fine.

Terry

Proud Kraut

Thanks Terry!

Summer holidays are in sight so not much progress these days. Meanwhile the crew has arrived. A set of two resin figures. After building these they received their first coat of primer.

26jun01a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Lars. This kit is coming along nicely. I love the camo effect using the hairspray technique. Looking forward to this Stug III getting the finishing touches.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 months later...

Although not much time for modeling these days I really want to complete the M40 and the StuG III projects in 2019. Today I added some remaining snow to the StuG's chassis. I'm not 100% lucky with the results, trials are ongoing....

18stug01.jpg

Hey Lars, nice work on the weathering and snow. BTW I do like how the snow looks. I'm looking forward to the riding infantry.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 months later...